• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite powder/bullet for .308 hunting load?

The ballisticians at Sierra bullets would be a great place to start. They are super helpful with accuracy loads and also seem like laid back helpful friendly guys. They also have hunting loads but I prefer pinpoint accuracy over a few FPS. Most of my .30 cals seem to prefer Sierra bullets anyway and don't be shocked if the gamekings shoot better than the matchkings.Get all your info together before you call. Twist rate, barrel length etc. The guys at Nosler seem a little more uptight but are also helpful.

Sierra Bullets 1-800-223-8799
Nosler bullets 1-800-285-3701

I have found that Hodgdon BLC-2 meters well and provides excellent accuracy when loaded on the hot side from my 24" DPMS LR308 with 165-168gr bullets. I've never really had any problems with a mild dose of Varget in this rig either. Still havent found that magic one hole powder for this one.
Kinda new to trying to unlock the accuracy potential of the .308

I've used RL15 and TAC in .308 for some time. Some favorites aer RL15 and 150-165gr Sierra Game Kings, and RL15 and 165gr Nosler BT's. The Noslers are very accurate bullets, and are devastating.

On a recent rifle buy I've looked into Barnes TSX, and many users report that the bullets kill like a larger caliber than the one you're using. Expansion is fast, but the bullet doesn't come apart.

One shot kills on Cape Buffalo's with a 250gr TSX in 9.3x62. That's something.

Back
Top Bottom