• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Federal guard dog

Looks pretty slick, its a FMJ, with a soft tip under the copper jacket.

I'm not sure how much it will expand inside of human tissue, but the theory behind it is that when it hits something more solid, say sheetrock, that it will expand enough to stop inside of the wall, thereby preventing over penetration and endangering others in the house, or neighbors.

Looks pretty slick, its a FMJ, with a soft tip under the copper jacket.

I'm not sure how much it will expand inside of human tissue, but the theory behind it is that when it hits something more solid, say sheetrock, that it will expand enough to stop inside of the wall, thereby preventing over penetration and endangering others in the house, or neighbors.
Then why use a full metal jacket?

Product Description said:
A step beyond traditional home-defense hollow points. The polymer-filled, FMJ-style bullets will not plug with barrier material, enabling them to deliver reliable, devastating expansion and minimal penetration through interior walls.

Looks like it is a HP bullet, with the HP filled with polymer (up to the point of a flat nose bullet) and then jacketed.
Check it out here:
http://www.cabelas.com/ammo-federal-premium-guard-dog-handgun-ammo.shtml

I've used it in 45 and 9 mm. Great round. Did well in the ballistics gel we tested. Consistent speed. Great for those whose guns are picky about hollowpoints, but still want better performance than fmj.

Back
Top Bottom