• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FFL on rental property

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Any idea how opening a FFL through a house you are leasing would work?

I was thinking I would either need the homeowner or management's permission, but do they have to know what type of business it is? Maybe they don't have to know?

Any issues opening up one in Dekalb county that may differ than other places?

I have looked into it the roadblocks for me so far have been the insurance costs that would go up and the letter needed from the homeowner to get the business license. Make sure you don't have a hoa or covenant that would restrict home based businesses aswell.

I have looked into it the roadblocks for me so far have been the insurance costs that would go up and the letter needed from the homeowner to get the business license. Make sure you don't have a hoa or covenant that would restrict home based businesses aswell.

yea I doubt the homeowner would say guns were okay he had a Proud Dem sticker on his car. Does it just have to say he is okay with a business or okay with a firearms business?

Your problem will come when the ATF agents come out to inspect the property. The have been known to knock on neighbor's doors and ask "What do you think about your neighbor selling guns?"

The owner will have to give the all clear for a FFL as well.

Your problem will come when the ATF agents come out to inspect the property. The have been known to knock on neighbor's doors and ask "What do you think about your neighbor selling guns?"

The owner will have to give the all clear for a FFL as well.

I think my neighbor got drunk and shot his 45 in the air a few times last night and unless a Spanish speaking ATF agent comes through there will be no meaningful communication.

I'm going to look into this more, but my lease has no provisions/restrictions in it relating to running a business.

The BATFE has NO concern about your neighborhood.. your required county/city business license is the precursor.

Please read David's "how to obtain a home-based FFL dealer's license" tutorial and it will answer 99% of yhour questions.

Yea...... OK, That does NOT stop them from speaking to your neighbors with a little scare tactic. You think I just made that up?

Certain zoning laws could also restrict you from running a business (one where customers come and go and parking is an issue) out of the home. Make sure you check on those within the county/city you live in.

I cannot find CCF's old thread on how he started his FFL up, I remember it, just can't find it.

Yea I'm kind of afraid to ask the owner all together because I really don't want to move for another 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom