• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing?

If you cant gut your own deer you shouldnt be huntin, plain and simple. Gut that deer rite there where it falls and enjoy the critters it attracts the next day. I have shot deer as they check out the gut pile from the day before plenty of times.

All you guys who cant or wont gut a deer should go get a part time job at there local processer and learn how its done.

And that statment a few post back about watching a youtube video to learn...... I cant believe that you said that on a open forum.

What yall gona do when obama runs this economy into the ground and all the processers go out of bizz?? yall gona go find someone to do it for you then???

If you cant gut your own deer you shouldnt be huntin, plain and simple. Gut that deer rite there where it falls and enjoy the critters it attracts the next day. I have shot deer as they check out the gut pile from the day before plenty of times.

All you guys who cant or wont gut a deer should go get a part time job at there local processer and learn how its done.

And that statment a few post back about watching a youtube video to learn...... I cant believe that you said that on a open forum.

What yall gona do when obama runs this economy into the ground and all the processers go out of bizz?? yall gona go find someone to do it for you then???

Good thing you came along to set everyone straight. Just curious but did you come onto this earth knowing how to gut a deer? I am guessing the answer would be no so I am sure someone taught you how to do it at some point. If you do not have someone to teach you, then a video, magazine, etc., is the next best thing.

I'll give you credit for one thing though - at least you adhere to your tagline...

My plan is to just curl up and die. ;) I personally said for the little bit my processor charges, it is more than worth it to ME, to not mess with it. If I need to, sure I could. It's not that hard, at all.
I also know how to prepare a meal. Sometimes I pay others to do it for me.

Good thing you came along to set everyone straight. Just curious but did you come onto this earth knowing how to gut a deer? I am guessing the answer would be no so I am sure someone taught you how to do it at some point. If you do not have someone to teach you, then a video, magazine, etc., is the next best thing.

Im glad you agree with me.

I learned by watching, begining as soon as I could walk.

I mean you wouldnt sit around camp and say hey I learned how to clean a deer on youtube.
You would get ribbed the rest of the season, Your new nick name would be YOUTUBE.......

Last edited:
I personally hate field dressing a deer. If it didn't cost me $20 extra at the processor I'd let them do it. It's not hard once you do it from start to finish once or twice but I still don't care for it. Just make sure you get a good field dressing knife. I recommend the Buck Vanguard. Excellent knife for dressing a deer. Take your time and don't cut yourself.

Just wait til you accidently open the stomach up on a deer. There's a new smell for ya, LOL, you'll never forget it!

Just wait til you accidently open the stomach up on a deer. There's a new smell for ya, LOL, you'll never forget it!
A guy in a club I was in was a graduate student in wildlife biology at UGA getting his doctorate. He shot a deer and being who he was, just HAD to open the stomach and study the rumin/cud. I helped him then bring it all to the community gut pile and of course, some of it got spilled and on us, including my hands. I then of course got it on my steering wheel. Despite more than a little cleaning and scrubbing, it was at LEAST a year if not more that I got to have fond memories of that little adventure every single time I got in that truck. ESPECIALLY through the summer!

Last edited:
Im glad you agree with me.

I learned by watching, begining as soon as I could walk.

I mean you wouldnt sit around camp and say hey I learned how to clean a deer on youtube.
You would get ribbed the rest of the season, Your new nick name would be YOUTUBE.......

Not really something I have to worry about. I hunt my own property, alone. I don't "sit around camp", if I had that option, then I wouldn't be posting here asking questions now, would I? I agree with Baton, way to live up to your tagline. Thanks for all your valuable input.

Not really something I have to worry about. I hunt my own property, alone. I don't "sit around camp", if I had that option, then I wouldn't be posting here asking questions now, would I? I agree with Baton, way to live up to your tagline. Thanks for all your valuable input.

Why yall so sensitive???

Man it wasnt directed AT YOU, its just a general view on deer hunters these days.
Gut your own deer is my point directed at everybody out there who take there deer to the processer with the guts in. The youtube comment was directed at the OP.

I would gladly gut deer at 20 bucks a piece, line em up thats 240 bucks an hour at 5 mins a piece.

I know a guy in town that has a big sign up at his cooler I mean the sign is made on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, It says if your deer is not gutted it will be an additional charge of 50 bucks, needless to say he dont gut many deer.

A guy in a club I was in was a graduate student in wildlife biology at UGA getting his doctorate. He shot a deer and being who he was, just HAD to open the stomach and study the rumin/cud. I helped him then bring it all to the community gut pile and of course, some of it got spilled and on us, including my hands. I then of course got it on my steering wheel. Despite more than a little cleaning and scrubbing, it was at LEAST a year if not more that I got to have fond memories of that little adventure every single time I got in that truck. ESPECIALLY through the summer!

LOL.

Back
Top Bottom