• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing?

Depends on the processor...but,

1.) it makes draggin' one out of the woods easier as it's much lighter

2.). Usually will cost less at the processor.

If your aren't sure how to do it, plenty of videos out there...always carry an extra water bottle,sharp knife, and a pair of latex gloves(I do,lol!)

GLOVES? Did your mom teach you how to field dress a deer! :boink::laugh::laugh:

Why yall so sensitive???

Man it wasnt directed AT YOU, its just a general view on deer hunters these days.
Gut your own deer is my point directed at everybody out there who take there deer to the processer with the guts in. The youtube comment was directed at the OP.

I would gladly gut deer at 20 bucks a piece, line em up thats 240 bucks an hour at 5 mins a piece.

I know a guy in town that has a big sign up at his cooler I mean the sign is made on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, It says if your deer is not gutted it will be an additional charge of 50 bucks, needless to say he dont gut many deer.

I am the OP...

My processor charges $25 to gut one, needless to say, he dosnt gut mine. We gut and quarter our own deer. We have it down pat! My wife and I can skin and quarter one without gutting it! Hell she can do it by herself. No butt outs or gut hooks, just our trusty Buck 110's. We also try to save any urine thats is avaliable...free natural cover scent :) I got her a meat grinder so we will process our own this year.

Not really something I have to worry about. I hunt my own property, alone. I don't "sit around camp", if I had that option, then I wouldn't be posting here asking questions now, would I? I agree with Baton, way to live up to your tagline. Thanks for all your valuable input.

I hunt my own property also. The way I do it is I use a gambrel like this, and I hoist the deer up with the winch on my UTV over a tree limb. Place a dump bucket under the deer, and everything drops in nicely.

It could not be any easier or less time consuming.

Skip the butt-out and the gut hook. Both are gimmicks. Just get a good sharp knife, pull the skin away, and use your finger as a guide. And cut a circle around the anus area and pull it out.
This, I have been timed, 3 minutes 12 seconds, but that is after doing about 150 of them. Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

Personally speaking, I was raised into a family who cleans our own deer. I find field dressing a deer pointless unless I have a mile or longer drag back to the truck. I'll just suck it up and drag the deer however far. But I highly recommend processing your own deer. Just adds to the tradition aspect for me. Never have been the type to pay a man to do my dirty work.;)

My processor charges $25 to gut one, needless to say, he dosnt gut mine. We gut and quarter our own deer. We have it down pat! My wife and I can skin and quarter one without gutting it! Hell she can do it by herself. No butt outs or gut hooks, just our trusty Buck 110's. We also try to save any urine thats is avaliable...free natural cover scent :) I got her a meat grinder so we will process our own this year.
I'm right there with ya on this brother. :hat:

Back
Top Bottom