• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing?

You should know how ... but... I do not gut mine. My processor charges something like $7 and does it right there within seconds of me pulling up. I watch them. I'm in a unique situation though. Generally, I shoot the deer. Walk 5 minutes to tractor and drive 2 minutes back to put deer in front end loader. Dump deer in truck. Drive 15 minutes to processor. Deer is gutted and hung in cooler generally well within an hour of walking. Unless I mess around....

Last edited:
You should know how ... but... I do not. My processor charges something like $7 and does it right there within seconds of me pulling up. I watch them. I'm in a unique situation though. Generally, I shoot the deer. Walk 5 minutes to tractor and drive 2 minutes back to put deer in front end loader. Dump deer in truck. Drive 15 minutes to processor. Deer is gutted and hung in cooler generally well within an hour of walking. Unless I mess around....

Depending where on my property the sucker ends up dropping, I could drive my truck right to it. It may behoove me to go to the local processors and see what their deal is with it. It would certainly make things easier since I'll often be hunting before I head in to work...

Depending where on my property the sucker ends up dropping, I could drive my truck right to it. It may behoove me to go to the local processors and see what their deal is with it. It would certainly make things easier since I'll often be hunting before I head in to work...

that would probably be your best bet there as not all processors will take one not already dressed

Thanks for the quick responses, fellas. I picked up a knife set at Adventure Outdoors today (I managed to get checked out in less than 20 minutes this time!) that has a skinner and a large gut-hook knife. They could stand to be sharper, but they were a good deal. I reckon I should pick up one of those Butt-Out things to pull the intestines and I'll be set. Even if my local processor wouldn't charge extra, I feel like it's something I should know how to do as part of being a responsible hunter. This stuff sure would have been easier if I had grown up hunting! I'll have to make sure when I have kids that they don't miss out.

Skip the butt-out and the gut hook. Both are gimmicks. Just get a good sharp knife, pull the skin away, and use your finger as a guide. And cut a circle around the anus area and pull it out.

Yeah it's just not worth it to me. Plus I don't need a gut pile on my place since it's so small (even though yes, it'll get cleaned up fairly quickly). For the couple of bucks my processor charges, it WAY worth it. Those guys literally gut it in less than one minute. The way those blades fly is amazing they don't gut themselves. It's already hanging on a hook on the track and then it slid right into the cooler. IF I had that set up, sure I'd be happy to gut it. ;)

Call your processor and find out. Also get their hours during hunting season. You might get that big buck right at dusk and have to spend an hour tracking it then spend 30min dragging it back to camp. Processor might be closed that late so you need to learn to do it yourself just in case.

Thanks for the quick responses, fellas. I picked up a knife set at Adventure Outdoors today (I managed to get checked out in less than 20 minutes this time!) that has a skinner and a large gut-hook knife. They could stand to be sharper, but they were a good deal. I reckon I should pick up one of those Butt-Out things to pull the intestines and I'll be set. Even if my local processor wouldn't charge extra, I feel like it's something I should know how to do as part of being a responsible hunter. This stuff sure would have been easier if I had grown up hunting! I'll have to make sure when I have kids that they don't miss out.

I use limb lopers to split the pelvis..then extract the hole encalata.

Opening the animal up in the field and dragging it out increase the likelihood of contamination. Roll it out on a cart and let the guts drop into a contractor bag after you hang it to clean.

Depends on the processor...but,

1.) it makes draggin' one out of the woods easier as it's much lighter

2.). Usually will cost less at the processor.

If your aren't sure how to do it, plenty of videos out there...always carry an extra water bottle,sharp knife, and a pair of latex gloves(I do,lol!)

This.

Back
Top Bottom