• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finding land questions

I found my 15 acres on craigslist. 70 miles from driveway to gate. be patient in your search and take notes so you can jump on a deal when you find it.

Great advice. Never be impulsive. Be absolutely certain you are getting what you want. Take the time to do a little research. It isn't hard at all. The only thing that makes buying land difficult is the people themselves. We are sometimes our own worst enemies. If more guys knew and understood how easily attainable land really is, more of us would have land.

I too have started to look for land and this time it will be my retirement location. I have been on the landwatch.com site as well. One thing that I look for is "who" lives in the county. YMMV. JP

Look in Meriwether (and surrounding counties) county for cheap land if you don't mine being south of ATL. I was told they only issued 6 building permits last year and the garage on the family land was one of them. Being patient and checking everyday is the best way to find a deal if you don't need it now. It took Dad almost a year to find the deal of lifetime. Just have money available when you find something because cash/check will make a buyer much easier to work with normally. Also, get a title search and survey just to make sure you are getting what you paid for before closing.

Reactions: MRH
Usually banks will require approx 20% down on bare land. Values can vary tremendously depending on your area. Anywhere from 2000-10000 per acre. The more you buy generally the better price per acre you can get, but small track you are talking plan on 5k per acre I believe would be a good ballpark. (Personally 5k per acre is high in my area) Our definitions of secluded may be slightly different. Small tracts like this may be secluded for now but likely will not remain that way in years to come.

Look in Meriwether (and surrounding counties) county for cheap land if you don't mine being south of ATL. I was told they only issued 6 building permits last year and the garage on the family land was one of them. Being patient and checking everyday is the best way to find a deal if you don't need it now. It took Dad almost a year to find the deal of lifetime. Just have money available when you find something because cash/check will make a buyer much easier to work with normally. Also, get a title search and survey just to make sure you are getting what you paid for before closing.

The Warm Springs area is freakin' nice...I love it there, but the prices in Meriwether are starting to jump up a bit. There are still some deals to be found, though...

Giving the seller a $1k hold is also a good idea, along with a short, simple written contract. It is earnest money and can save you from heartache down the road. Don't ask me how I know...

I too have started to look for land and this time it will be my retirement location. I have been on the landwatch.com site as well. One thing that I look for is "who" lives in the county. YMMV. JP

Absolutely. Demographics matter. Especially if the county is ran by democrats who demand more of your tax money for the property that you supposedly own.

Land conservation is also a good way to cut your taxes by more than half. That is if you are not planning on building or cutting all the trees within a 10 year time frame. At least that's how mine is set up. I save 60% on taxes because of it, but if I violate my contract, I have to back pay all those years of taxes, X2...Yes, X2...That's just the way it is. It's still a great thing for those who wish to use the land for recreation only, and the investment in property is a good one.

Location location location. That is what is going to determine the land price. Secondary factors will be flood plain, topo, and road access. If you don't know exactly where you want to be, it's going to be more difficult for you because you will be comparing apples to oranges to bananas.
3-6 acress in Cherokee county is different than Gordon county is different than Chatooga county. If you can even narrow down to 1 or 2 counties you want to be in, that is going to help your search out a lot.

Since you posted this in "survival" I assume you want to be left alone? It would be helpful if you listed what all you want to do on the property.
If that is the case, you are in luck because the cheapest pieces of land are always the ones that are landlocked without road frontage and limited deeded access easements. Many of these are not listed for sale but can be purchased cheap. Most counties have a GIS service you can find online to look for these parcels.

I have been by that property you linked to in post 23. It is very secluded on a dirt road, but when I went by the road was a muddy mess. I certainly wouldn't pay $3,500 an acre. I have talked with that listing agent about other properties and while he seems like a straightforward guy I think their properties are priced high.

Time is on your side if you are not in a hurry. The best deals pop up and are gone quickly because land people who watch certain areas know what prices and sales comps are so they can move quickly when a steal pops up.

@protective measures has helped me look for properties in that area since he is based in Dalton. If you have a property you are interested in, PM me and I can give you my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom