• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First 1911 HELP!!

5   0
Reaction score
In the market for my first 1911. Don't want to break the bank. Been looking at the RIA or possible the Taurus in stainless. I want something I can do some tinkering with, like polishing all of the important parts and maybe a trigger job. Any thoughts from the 1911 Gurus?

If buds still has them, the girsan 1911 is also a great budget 1911. Milled frame and slide, cold hammer forged barrel, etc. when I got mine it was $438 shipped. Way better than a ria or citadel.

I have a RIA compact and a full size Taurus in .45. The RIA is my EDC.

The RIA is rock solid. Very reliable. I have not ordered from these folks, but they have them at great prices. Call Cherokee in Canton and see if they have 'em in stock. And tinker away! http://e-sarcoinc.com/rockislandpistols.aspx

The Taurus IMHO, is one of the best values in 1911's. Very well built. Excellent trigger. Front checkering standard. But you pay a little more than the RIA. Great shooters.

You can tell I'm not really a 1911 snob...either the RIA or Taurus would be a great entry-level gun but if you want to tinker, I'd go for the RIA. I bet it won't be your last 1911.

^^^ Agreed and also great to build on. Best in my opinion to get your feet wet with and learn the pistols before you step up in quality to a Dan Wesson or other quality 1911's.

an RIA can be built to be better than any shooter is.... youll never be more accurate than the gun itself.

If buds still has them, the girsan 1911 is also a great budget 1911. Milled frame and slide, cold hammer forged barrel, etc. when I got mine it was $438 shipped. Way better than a ria or citadel.

Looked at this one. Looks pretty good for the money. Definitely this one or the RIA version. Looks like most bang for the buck. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom