• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First AR rebarrel

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
In a few days I will be set to take on my first AR rebarreling project. Im going to be taking this M&P Sport 5.56 and installing a 16" Green Mountain chrome lined, fluted 300 BLK barrel.
image-jpg.418525

cdn2.bigcommerce.com_n_biq04i_9s3jnna5_products_317_images_372c4198eb7c102dd68ca6ec86929f1161a.jpg

Going with a Double Star railed gas block, either using the S&W gas tube or I have a Voodoo LifeCoat laying around too. Reusing the original hand guards for now so will be putting the delta ring back on. Don't have a muzzle device yet so will run out in the morning and see whats on the shelves of my local shops.

Have my upper receiver vise block and a good barrel nut wrench I can use a 1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench on. As far as I know I'm ready to go. Have a good 8" Reed vise to hold it in.

Making the truck/woods gun I've been wanting but cant find on the shelves.

I have built and repaired basically ever other aspect of the AR over the year besides a barrel R&R as far as I know I'm ready to go, the barrel should be in tomorrow. Any final words of advice, encouragement or even scorn before I get started?

Well my barrel came in this morning and much to my delight they shipped it with a very nice thread protector so I have ordered a three prong flash hider and will run it with the thread protector till then.

Getting started...

Nug1mWI_Ig9GoDFbx95hHulwums92HfZWi5Y6uNocnIyW-U0tUHlYvAhWpMFuUBfhIMfUv6cVoJIH__rkNA_fCZIvBNPuh46KKQSCygOv2BkFpksjC71ErPngRA=s0-d-e1-ft

This PRI barrel nut wrench is GREAT. $25 at Midway. You can torque with confidence not worrying about a spanner slipping off. The bad part though is that you have to have everything removed off of your old barrel so it can slide it up the barrel. Front sight gas block and birdcage had to go. Lucky for me neither put up to much of a fight.

nUuWR298vV8SpKiaK-uTaO_UbWMeDPNL6f3DZCElXeZImO_8hss0v9p0x7BUyZjnRzcnGta7xLQ6Vg87WLKcppzbuHZnH1dsqYU8i_xNkSLHvvJCtaIdAF3f3V8=s0-d-e1-ft

This upper receiver vise block worked well. Made by Wheeler, $24 at Midway. What I really liked about it was that not only did it have the bolt like insert to keep your upper from flexing in to much. It also has that handy gas tube locator. You can check your alignment with out having to even remove the wrench from the nut. Just reach over and push it through the gas tube hole.

0501151226-00.jpg

0501151243-00 (1).jpg

Took it out back and put 5 through it,into the berm, from the porch. Firing 147grs running 2000fps. It ran all right. I know plenty of people who scoff at the term "over gassed". I guess I'll just say its getting more than enough gas. It recoiled with authority (as far as AR's go). I would call it a good bit more recoil than a 7.62x39 AK, SKS or VZ. Case mouths were dented in from hitting the shell deflector.
0501151245-01.jpg

I had noticed that the barrel has a generous sized gas port but didn't worry about it to much as its a carbine gas length. I will have to keep in eye on it, checking for wear. That Double Star gas block it a little long for this barrel and I prefer one railed on the top and bottom. I may pull if off to use on another build and install an adjustable block. Would like to turn it down just a bit, but not at the expense of reliable cycling. That block just cant seem to stay on any build for very long but I think I have a home for it,next time.

Brought it back in after 5 and checked it over again. No issues. Will mount some sights and then really take it out and put it through its paces.

I would love to purchase your old barrel from you... I am looking for used AR parts. check out my thread, just disregard the shenaniganry: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...ol-oem-whatever-ar-parts.920806/#post-4649606

Thanks for the offer but I have plans for that barrel. I like how it a little bit heaver with out the M203 cuts. I'm going to use it to build my daughters first centerfire rifle. Using a DPMS slickside, lo pro gas block, maybe a DPMS carbonfiber free float handguard. It's going to have a polymer lower and a SOPMOD style stock for a decent cheekweld and the short LOP. Basically everything as light as I can get with the exception of the barrel and buttstock.

Also used this build to try out Magpuls new K+, reduced angle pistol grip (BCM Gunfighter nock off). Its nice and it should help her get more leverage in the trigger. I'm going to stick with my MOE+ though.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m5-16-5-56mm-nato-m4-a-r-barrel-with-extension-1-7/

Green Mountain has a 16" 5.56 1 in 7 on sale for $120. I am really impressed with there barrels, service and quick shipping. If I didn't have so many irons in the fire I would pick one up just cause it a deal on a good 1:7.

Back
Top Bottom