• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bike - Need Some pointers

Ktm exc 450..or a honda xr 400 used ( last year was 03) but this one of the most bullet proof bikes of all time...get some blinkers good dual purpose tires and put a tag on it...you can get much more power with simple mods. Google gordon mlds...if you can find one...

The yamaha or honda trail 450s are great too...check out the ktm line..im not sure what thier new line up is

Two strokes set up for trails are awesome..you can always add a flywheel to smooth em out too and jet the carb to run richer...been a while since i was into it..my last bike was an 05 crf450r but a track bike..big gun exhaust pro taper triple clamp, rg3 suspention all around..it was aBEAST and faster then any other 450 i have been on lol...

Anyway...a 250 four stroke would be a good learner but suck on the road and u will prob out grow it quick..

I say hit durham town and rent something or cedartown and try a ktm..

Lots of options and endless tweaks to make it fit your style!...oh its gordon mods on the 400..typo and cant get back up to edit with phone...

YOUR STOKED

Last edited:
Www.thumpertalk.com lots of great info and folks ready to help...that sight will be invaluable as you decide but especially whem u get one...full of experts all around...

I cant believe i forgot the name i learned so much and saved a ton of doe there...damn odt has brainwashed me!

There is lots of good gear..alpinestar was my favorite..especially the boots! Good boots are critical

Last edited:
The one piece of advice that stuck like glue to me was "always have an escape plan. Every time you touch the brakes, no where you're going if the guy in the car behind you doesn't stop." Getting sandwiched between two cars didn't sound like fun, so I spent most of my time riding alternative routes instead of main traffic routes.

Good advice...be prepared to get your foot up and push off a car that comes into your lane from the side too lol...fcking cars dont look for bikes!

Man can u tell i miss it!..practice one thing at a time and get lots of seat time...once u get the hang of say breaking ,turning, crossing a creek, geting over obstacles, hill climbs, etc the fun level jumps up...then u figure something else out..more fun.. Then u learn a better way to do that..more fun..the fun factor is exponetial!

Just take it slow and one thing at a time...most of the time the bike will do it..its the human factor like freaking out in a skid stop or turn or especially pushing over your limit that causes wrecks.. Remember the bike will fck u up if you dont respect it

Last edited:
My son finished the dirt bike course today at the MSF in Alpharetta, EXCELLENT material, very concentrated on the technical aspects, turn ins, weight distributions, balance, throttle control, hill difficulties, obstacle travel, etc....

Just as he was after his first day at ski school, wants to hit the black diamonds.... But, he did make it down the blacks the next day, better than his old man, so maybe the same for the trail riding.....

Shout out to Michael, his instructor for his effort and knowledge. Not to mention his patience.....

Great course for young and old....

My son finished the dirt bike course today at the MSF in Alpharetta, EXCELLENT material, very concentrated on the technical aspects, turn ins, weight distributions, balance, throttle control, hill difficulties, obstacle travel, etc....

Just as he was after his first day at ski school, wants to hit the black diamonds.... But, he did make it down the blacks the next day, better than his old man, so maybe the same for the trail riding.....

Shout out to Michael, his instructor for his effort and knowledge. Not to mention his patience.....

Great course for young and old....

Thanks for the follow up! Counting down the days to my weekend! Should be ordering gear here shortly. Its just kinda nerve racking as I dont have many local places to see/try on gear.

I am liking AFX FX39ds helmet and it has gotten excellent reviews. I am also trying to decide if I want "built-in" armor or separate armor that I would wear a jacket over. If I go the built in armor, I am looking at buying at least 2 or 3 jackets for different seasons. The separate armor would be handy for light trails on a hot summer day.

Pants not so much the concern. as my legs dont really get hot or cold.

Back
Top Bottom