• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bike - Need Some pointers

thanks roundhouse

I just signed up for MSF basic course. They provide the bike and helmet but I figure I will start looking at gear ahead of my purchase.

Yep, 450 or bigger for road use. I am using a Kawasaki KLR 650, the blue collar bike of choice for dual sport that requires more than dirt trail riding. 70 mph on the road strain free, yet easy off road. You are a bit smaller than me, seat height may be an issue.

MSF in Alpharetta offers a day course for $125 that provides bike, and gear for a 4 hour block on what to do, when, by the pro's. They offer a dirt and a street, if you take just one, do the dirt, it translates well to pavement.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=GA

Well worth the money.

The 250 is great for crawling around stuff, just not great from here to there.
This is a great place for MSF. It's the Honda headquarters so the training bikes are current model year. I took my MSF there and also signed my boys up for the dirt bike class.

This is a great place for MSF. It's the Honda headquarters so the training bikes are current model year. I took my MSF there and also signed my boys up for the dirt bike class.

thats where I am going. Doing the 2 day basic that includes license waiver. Looking forward to it!

The one piece of advice that stuck like glue to me was "always have an escape plan. Every time you touch the brakes, no where you're going if the guy in the car behind you doesn't stop." Getting sandwiched between two cars didn't sound like fun, so I spent most of my time riding alternative routes instead of main traffic routes.

First thing you should do is just practice in the driveway taking off and stopping. Once you start riding look far enough ahead of you to avoid panic braking. Weird stuff will happen and you just have to stay calm. I was just out for a cruise today when a piece of thick plastic sheeting blew out of a boat in front of me.

Forgot to mention your gear-

Helmet - DOT approved, I prefer a full face/Modular, I'm way too pretty to damage the face! :)
Jacket- 600 Cordura with shoulder/elbow/back armor as a minimum.
Pants- Same as above, armor in knees
Boots- ankle padding as a minimum, shin if off road.

Back
Top Bottom