• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First knives forged

thats really cool. think i'll just stick to making stuff out of wood and stone tho
That's a great HOBBY as well.. I do a lot of wood working too... Around the house, all carpenter upgrade and repairs, I do it. Have all the tools in garage and a lot of scrap woods!!!

75% done with this Skinner I made after work today

Attachments

• 20210330_211828.jpg
    20210330_211828.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
There are quite a few bladesmiths in and around the Atlanta area. Good on you for "forging ahead". I've been working hot steel for close to 30 years now and still find it a fascinating art. I did stock removal blades for 20+ years and got bored with it. I forge all my blades now and only use my grinders for profiling, handle shaping and final sharpening.

Not sure you want to learn from FIF as most of what you see is what not to do to make a quality blade. You will learn better and faster getting with an experienced smith in his shop. There are two organizations in GA that can help you tremendously in this endeavor - Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild and Flint River Knife Club. Both are teaching organizations and have several accomplished smiths that can guide you through the learning curve. They both have Fb pages if you want to know more.

Biggest part to improving your skill level is to practice, practice, and more practice - just remember that when you practice pay attention to what's going on and strive to improve with each session. Keep your projects simple until you get the basics of hammer/heat/anvil control down to easy. Until you get these working for you you're just going to sweat. There is a great deal of physics and geometry involved in forging a quality blade. No, you don't have to know all the details but you need to understand what is going on with steel, heat, and shock impact as well as how thermal cycling affects different steels. Lot of variables and each steel reacts slightly different - some a lot different.

I'd be glad to coach you through the basics once this covid crap settles out a bit more. Get used to the hot scale and don't wear gloves with open cuffs. The dragon's breath will teach you about how close you can get before the hair starts singeing.

I will be at the Blade Show in June table J-5.
Just realized we have met through another transaction. You got my contact info if you have questions.

There are quite a few bladesmiths in and around the Atlanta area. Good on you for "forging ahead". I've been working hot steel for close to 30 years now and still find it a fascinating art. I did stock removal blades for 20+ years and got bored with it. I forge all my blades now and only use my grinders for profiling, handle shaping and final sharpening.

Not sure you want to learn from FIF as most of what you see is what not to do to make a quality blade. You will learn better and faster getting with an experienced smith in his shop. There are two organizations in GA that can help you tremendously in this endeavor - Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild and Flint River Knife Club. Both are teaching organizations and have several accomplished smiths that can guide you through the learning curve. They both have Fb pages if you want to know more.

Biggest part to improving your skill level is to practice, practice, and more practice - just remember that when you practice pay attention to what's going on and strive to improve with each session. Keep your projects simple until you get the basics of hammer/heat/anvil control down to easy. Until you get these working for you you're just going to sweat. There is a great deal of physics and geometry involved in forging a quality blade. No, you don't have to know all the details but you need to understand what is going on with steel, heat, and shock impact as well as how thermal cycling affects different steels. Lot of variables and each steel reacts slightly different - some a lot different.

I'd be glad to coach you through the basics once this covid crap settles out a bit more. Get used to the hot scale and don't wear gloves with open cuffs. The dragon's breath will teach you about how close you can get before the hair starts singeing.

I will be at the Blade Show in June table J-5.
Just realized we have met through another transaction. You got my contact info if you have questions.

Hey Buddy! Your knife making, and the one I bought from you, is what inspired me to try it! I saw your knives before I ever heard of FIF. I'd love to have you to my forge. Shouldn't be much longer until we can do that. I put off the gunsmithing to forge, so I need to get that .410/22lr back to you anyways! I am a member of the fb groups and a bladesmith forum. I think my belt grinder is my biggest set back at the moment... if you know of a 2x72 or something decent let me know!

Back
Top Bottom