• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

I like both but turkeys are much more difficult to kill!
Didn’t grow up hunting and decided a few years ago I wanted to start (I’m 30 now). This was right before spring and it was turkey season so genius me thinks I’ll buy some calls and go kill me one. HA! I underestimated the wild so much it was crazy. Amazing how differently I look at the woods now when hiking/scouting and trying to make sense of it all. I can tell you I have a LONG way to go and don’t know where I would be without the years of knowledge on this site.

That "no shooting unless you are at least 50 yards from a road" is a STATE law, and while any county is welcome to have a stricter law, no county's ordinance can give you permission to shoot any closer than 50 yards (unless it is an established firing range that has been inspected and approved of by the county authorities.)

Are you sure you can't do your hunting from 55 yards deep into the property, away from the road? From there you can shoot a deer in any direction so long as it's safe and the deer is on your land ( or land that you've been given permission by the owner to hunt )?

I would think even 4 acres in a basically square shape would allow you to get 50 yards from the road and shoot at game that is 100-150 yards from said road.

That "no shooting unless you are at least 50 yards from a road" is a STATE law, and while any county is welcome to have a stricter law, no county's ordinance can give you permission to shoot any closer than 50 yards (unless it is an established firing range that has been inspected and approved of by the county authorities.)

Are you sure you can't do your hunting from 55 yards deep into the property, away from the road? From there you can shoot a deer in any direction so long as it's safe and the deer is on your land ( or land that you've been given permission by the owner to hunt )?

I would think even 4 acres in a basically square shape would allow you to get 50 yards from the road and shoot at game that is 100-150 yards from said road.

It really is an oddly shaped piece of land. There is 100 acres behind me but I have not been able to contact that land owner as of yet.
25EB4C10-CB7E-49F3-84DA-F0138E4AB7DB.jpeg

It really is an oddly shaped piece of land. There is 100 acres behind me but I have not been able to contact that land owner as of yet.
View attachment 1839562

I can get far enough away on the one end but it’s a little tight. The way the hills roll and the white oaks stack up, shooting from closer to the road is optimal.

Back
Top Bottom