• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

The area I can rifle hunt, and where I would set up, has me shooting down into a bowl, which is good. I have never shot a bow so that’s not even an option this year. If I get into this I have already thought of picking up a bow and learning.

The banks county property i have access to is over thirty acres with a large pond as the back property line. I’m very excited about it.
Creek bottoms are a great place to start scouting. Find the crossings.

Deer are just like us, they typically look for the path of least resistance. Often times if you are taking the easiest path through the woods you will discover you are actually on a deer trail.

Don’t forget the corn!

3932A915-B09C-4808-BE2C-0F89BAB8B3FF.jpeg
613C2565-A9FB-4B31-A157-48DFEA29F186.jpeg

I haven't noticed them bark much when deer are near, but they raise hell when there is a predator. Red Foxes are showing up every time I hunt my primary stand and the squirrels are a very effective early warning system for them.
Just watch and pay attention. I can assure you they bark at deer, it doesn’t matter what’s walking. My dad taught me that as a kid, his whole demeanor would change if we were hunting and he heard a squirrel barking. It meant he was getting ready to kill, I watched and learned. He was twice the hunter I’ll ever be, the woods talk to you but you just have to listen.

Back
Top Bottom