• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunting

wds519

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of guys on here with years of experience with whitetail hunting. I made the decision to get tags and hunt when deer season had already started, i normally plan things out a bit better than this. I will be hunting public land and was looking for any tips or advice i can get that would be beneficial due to my time being limited working two jobs.

Thanks!

Always be willing to listen to advice but take it with a grain of salt as in every aspect of life. Most times scoring a deer comes down to luck. If there is no deer around you're not going to get one. Hunting with the wind in your face is good advice but i've had them come up behind me more times than i can count. You do not need the biggest baddest caliber to kill a deer. Proper shot placement with a smaller caliber will kill them quicker than missing with a magnum. Your chances greatly increase with the more time you spend out there hunting but take heart, i've seen numerous times beginners luck kick in and grant big bucks to those who had no idea what they were doing. Bring a time piece but leave your phone in the truck. A random phone call or staring at the odt can cost you the chance of a life time. And my last piece of advice is to just appreciate the beauty of nature around you regardless of your succes at hunting because 9 1/2 times out of ten you're not going to even see a deer let alone get a shot at one.
Good luck, be safe and God bless.

Always be willing to listen to advice but take it with a grain of salt as in every aspect of life. Most times scoring a deer comes down to luck. If there is no deer around you're not going to get one. Hunting with the wind in your face is good advice but i've had them come up behind me more times than i can count. Your chances greatly increase with the more time you spend out there hunting but take heart, i've seen numerous times beginners luck kick in and grant big bucks to those who had no idea what they were doing. Bring a time piece but leave your phone in the truck. A random phone call or staring at the odt can cost you the chance of a life time. And my last piece of advice is to just appreciate the beauty of nature around you regardless of your succes at hunting because 9 1/2 times out of ten you're not going to even see a deer let alone get a shot at one.
Good luck, be safe and God bless.
You just about summed it up in a nutshell!

I’ll add on...

Enjoy the hunt just as much as the kill! Take a pen with you to write down your kill. Don’t forget to breath before you pull the trigger! Pay close attention to the deer after your bust it but sit and wait a lil while before you go track the deer down. Get you a leafy suit and some doe pee. Give yourself plenty of time to get out and settled before daylight in the morning time and get out in early afternoon for an evening hunt.

Back
Top Bottom