• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time reloader

You will not save any money reloading. But you will shoot a lot more. example: if you have 100 dollars to spend on ammo. You will spend a 100 dollars but you will shoot twice as much.

Very true. I had $170 to spend on ammo and I planned on buying 500 rnds of 9x18 Makarov ammo. Instead of loaded rnds, I bought a set of Lee dies, 100 cases, (which I shouldn't have bought) and 1,500 bullets from Grafs. I trim range pick up 9mm brass for my Mak my ammo cost is pretty low.

What is the best way to trim 1mm off of 9x19 mm brass to make 9x18 mm? Thanks
I really like the Lee case trimmers for removing a lot of brass, like when making 300 BLK from 5.56. they have a set up where you can chuck it in a drill motor and go to town on it. I've never really looked into a 9x19 to 9x18 mak conversion so I'll leave to warnings to others who know about it... I do know the mak uses a bigger bullet but also the 9x19 is tapered so maybe its about the same size when you resize it to a straight wall? I dont know but heres the link to a lee shell holder and cutting guage, and then the cutter itself.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615292/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-9x18mm-makarov
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud?cm_vc=sugv476992

051.jpg

I cast my own .45 acp. I am at less that .05 per round. Hard to find lead now though.

I would need to look it up, or better you would.
But if it was me I would find a schematic drawing of the 9 X 18 VS the 9 X 19 and compare the cases.
as mentioned the 9 X 19 is a pretty highly tapered case, I don't recall the 9 X 18 being so.
as well as the extractor groove size, the rim thickness etc.
no need to waste a lot of time making brass and then not being able to use it.
additionally I would be sure and keep this brass(or mark it) separate from regular 9 X 19 brass if I did do it.
after all it will still have the 9 luger as a head stamp.

I would need to look it up, or better you would.
But if it was me I would find a schematic drawing of the 9 X 18 VS the 9 X 19 and compare the cases.
as mentioned the 9 X 19 is a pretty highly tapered case, I don't recall the 9 X 18 being so.
as well as the extractor groove size, the rim thickness etc.
no need to waste a lot of time making brass and then not being able to use it.
additionally I would be sure and keep this brass(or mark it) separate from regular 9 X 19 brass if I did do it.
after all it will still have the 9 luger as a head stamp.

So far I've converted about 1000 cases and fired at least 300, it's easier than you think. As soon as you expand the case mouth and seat the bullet it's no longer tapered (the case). After firing it looks like any other 9x18 case, the rest of the dimensions are the same or so close to it that you'll never see a difference. I do mark my cases with a Sharpie, so I can distinguish them from other range brass.

What is the best way to trim 1mm off of 9x19 mm brass to make 9x18 mm? Thanks
I use a Lyman case trimmer that I've put a power attachment on. I already had the trimmer so I just got the power attachment. There are probably, a dozen YouTube videos on the process and this conversion for the 9x18. I've shot my reloads out of a Polish p64, and a CZ 82 with no issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom