• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time rust bluing.

Axe is a nice practice run. Next step might be to blue the guts of the 1911, say the small parts or polish and blue the magazine bodies and barrel. Gives ya some opportunity to experiment before getting on with the really big show.

Axe is a nice practice run. Next step might be to blue the guts of the 1911, say the small parts or polish and blue the magazine bodies and barrel. Gives ya some opportunity to experiment before getting on with the really big show.
That's great advice. I'll have to do that. Got 1911 that will be great for the job.

Its hard to do the insides of a gun with rust bluing. If the blue inside the frame and slide is fine, I suggest some stripping other than chemical....i.e. polish/strike the outsides, leave the blue inside alone.

Ya can rust blue the inside of the slide....inside the frame will be much harder.

If the bluing inside is still good....black is black and the interior surfaces are already pacified so.....since no one see's the inside......focus on the rust bluing of what you can efficiently and effective polish/wipe with sauce and card for the next round. When assembled, it'll look spanky lovely.

I did this Lyman Muzzle Loader with the Laurel Mountain stuff. It was pretty easy.
I stripped it with vinegar and used a steamy bathroom for the rusting.

Attachments

• Lyman trade browned 3072x2304.JPG
    Lyman trade browned 3072x2304.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom