• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flechettes... never knew the mini existed...

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
657   1
Reaction score
Found a batch of Vietnam surplus 2.5cm ...
Kind of small. I can't imagine them in a shotgun doing much damage.
20210430_165507.jpg
20210430_165518.jpg

I got together with another gun lover who had some of these and we shot them together at a range.Back in 2009 or so.
We shot them at a soft body armor vest class IIA. Shot them at stacks of newspaper and phone books. And shot the flechette rounds at pieces of plywood.

The bottom line is that they are nearly useless. Out of the hundreds of little Fletchette darts that we threw downrange, only about 1% of them hit point first and showed halfway decent penetration. Only one of them went halfway through a Kevlar vest, so the person wearing it would've suffered a 2mm wide "stab wound" type injury that went in about 3/4 of an inch into their gut.

The pattern was huge, too. Like The size of a barn door at 50 feet.
The individual darts were often striking several inches apart from any other dart.

The only way I could see them even being semi effective would be to encase them in wax all pointing the same direction. Otherwise it seems like you'd get a lot of tumblers and everywhere tiny little arrows

Because of the elevation in the central highlands, to carry enough fuel for a mission and get off the ground, our aircraft were configured with 19 pair inboard rocket pods and 7 pair outboard rocket pods. We always tried to carry flechettes outboard and 2.75" ffar, 10 lbs H E warheads inboard. SOG recon teams had lots of stories about NVA nailed to trees in the LZ. They were deadly but not allowed when close to friendlies.

Back
Top Bottom