• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flipping off police officers is definitely legal, if not advisable

So by the same token when I see your wife and kids on the road I can just flip them the bird? :confused: LEO's are out there putting their lives on the line everyday, for hardly any damn pay. They deserve your respect. Sure there are a few bad apples out there...but they still deserve your respect.
I guess Obama desereves America's respect, congress too. I mean I can't imagine how hard it is to be president or rep, doing their best to serve the people. Sure there are a few bad apples...but they still deserve your respect. The respect is owed because of the position held not the manner in which it is kept correct?

I agree, but kinda like religion I doubt respect can be achieved through legislation.

I think they have earned it without legislation. When have religious folk ever tried to get respect through legislation? I know they want their morals imposed at times but respect is something deemed, not demanded and definitely not genuine if not given voluntarily. LEO's have earned your respect for their service and sacrifice. Your character will be evident in how you choose to behave towards someone you do not even know especially someone you are only reacting to because of where they work or what their uniform is. Apples and oranges....

I guess Obama desereves America's respect, congress too. I mean I can't imagine how hard it is to be president or rep, doing their best to serve the people. Sure there are a few bad apples...but they still deserve your respect. The respect is owed because of the position held not the manner in which it is kept correct?

Yes, respect the position. If you know them personally or their performance individually in the limelight is deficient(as is the Prez) then judge away but I do not think something as childish as "flipping the bird" accomplishes anything other than satisfying ones misdirected antagonism or acting out one's own attention seeking behavior. Just MO.

Last edited:
You know I was thinking about the practicality of this. How many engineers here? garbage men? Medical profs? Techies? ...what ever your occupation. What if you wore a big sign on your body that said your occupation and we just take turns weekly with each occupation and deem that week "flip off an insurance agent/(fill in the blank)". Any of you "flippers" think that would be good? This country is so infantile that this even being an issue speaks volumes of where public(government) education has taken our populace! Holy Crap!

Yes, respect the position. If you know them personally or their performance individually in the limelight is deficient(as is the Prez) then judge away but I do not think something as childish as "flipping the bird" accomplishes anything other than satisfying ones misdirected antagonism or acting out their own attention seeking behavior. Just MO.
See the problem with that is that you are saying it's ok to judge the president because he is "clearly doing a bad job"...well you would be in a minorty because I'm pretty sure he just got reelected. So who exactly determines what is a bad job and who we are allowed to judge? See my post on page two regarding the actual act of flipping them off. I'm not saying everyone should go around giving the finger to them. I was just commenting that it's ironic that he would say we have to respect cops, even bad bad ones, but would wager he doesn't extend the same respect to the president.

See the problem with that is that you are saying it's ok to judge the president because he is "clearly doing a bad job"...well you would be in a minorty because I'm pretty sure he just got reelected. So who exactly determines what is a bad job and who we are allowed to judge? See my post on page two regarding the actual act of flipping them off. I'm not saying everyone should go around giving the finger to them. I was just commenting that it's ironic that he would say we have to respect cops, even bad bad ones, but would wager he doesn't extend the same respect to the president.
I understand, my premise is that we have one prez, we know and see his performance intimately and the results of his actions. There are a million cops out there and to stereotype them, treat them like this is as bad as being a bigot/racist IMO. I think it can be done but it is a fine line between respect for the person and respect for the position...

Need to respect the Leo they are just doing their Jobs. You respect them and most of the time they will respect you.

Sadly nowadays "doing their job " doesn't mean helping people or solving crimes. It means arresting as many people as possible and writing lame traffic tickets for the revenue

Y'all do what you want. Me, I'll keep trying to attract as little negative attention as possible. There is a time for acting Stupid - mine was 30 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom