• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Flying with a Firearm

halifax45

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
90   0
Reaction score
i plan on flying to texas in the next couple of weeks and plan on take one of my carry guns with me. Looked on delta's website and it seems easy enough to do, but was wondering if anyone has any actual experience doing so and what i might expect. Thank you

It really is easy.

Follow their rules (lockable box, etc.). Go to the ticket counter when you arrive to check in and declare you have a firearm. They will have you fill out a form and open the case in front of them. If you have other luggage to check, they will take that. However, you have to take your form and the firearm over to the special luggage area. The ticket agent will point you in the right direction. Easy as pie! On the other end, you will have to pick it up in the special luggage area.

Tell you what, I used to travel weekly. The first time I took a firearm into the airport I felt REALLY paranoid. Nothing like opening up your case in front of everyone in one of the most heavily guarded places in Atlanta.

As it is your carry gun, I would also double check that it is unloaded PRIOR to arriving at the airport.

Nothing like having SWAT show up because someone called 911 about a guy "loading up a pistol in the parking lot" (I am inferring that the masses cannot tell the difference between loading and unloading)

^^^ Definitely check three times.. a loaded firearm will make your flight very exiting.

ATL & Delta is pretty smooth and TX should be fine. One tip, go right to the VIP check-in area since they handle this function. Just tell the guy keeping the riff-raff away they your are checking an UNLOADED firearm. They will send you to the oversize bag screening area for inspection, a little room off to the right of the main lobby as you walk in.

The rules are pretty simple, locked case w/o ammo. Pistol case lock should be non-TSA. You are supposed to be the only person with access according to the law, although I know there's some confusion there.

Your best bet is to 'double-bag. Put your locked pistol case inside a normal bag w/ TSA locks. That way you can put the 'checked firearm' tag on the outside of the pistol case (a little tape here is good).

If you put the tag inside the pistol case itself (it can't be on the outside of any bag, since that would identify it as a firearm), and just check that, they may cut the lock if it goes through secondary screening and they x-ray a firearm. Plus you can put your ammo in the outer bag, to keep everything together.

I usually use a plastic ammo box rather than the original packaging. The key is a sturdy box with individual compartments for each round. A little tape on the ammo box is good insurance, but under no circumstances loaded mags or loose ammo (even though loaded mags are technically OK, they can cause drama).

On the way back to ATL, the bag will probably be over at the special pickup area. Other airports may do that, or just put it on the carousel. I've seen it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom