• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flying with a weapon

drc302

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
104   0
Reaction score
I might have to go to Detroit next weekend. I can ride up with a co worker but will have to fly back. I have been told that I can put my gun in checked baggage as long as I separate ammo and let TSA know about it. I know that they put a special tag on the bag and I am concerned that there is at least a chance that it will be a target for theft. I don't want to go to Detroit un armed but I don't want to lose a G23 either.

Have any of you guys ever had to do this??? Any thoughts ??

I might have to go to Detroit next weekend. I can ride up with a co worker but will have to fly back. I have been told that I can put my gun in checked baggage as long as I separate ammo and let TSA know about it. I know that they put a special tag on the bag and I am concerned that there is at least a chance that it will be a target for theft. I don't want to go to Detroit un armed but I don't want to lose a G23 either.

Have any of you guys ever had to do this??? Any thoughts ??

Um yeah, take a gun to a gun free zone ...THAT'S a good idea

Last edited:
There was a great thread on this last week - will try to find it for you. There are a bunch of guys here who know this stuff because they deal with it every day.

Check both the TSA website and the airline for the rules for checking a firearm on an airplane. If you are talking about having a handgun with you on the trip up to Detroit I would also check the laws for each state on your route. Hopefully you have a Georgia weapons license, but you have to verify the laws in each state.

Back
Top Bottom