• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food Storage Information Thread

SOCOM

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
Last edited:
I keep buying tons of mre's, and canned food, and rotating it out. I keep around 1 month worth of canned food. Was thinking about dehydrated food, but in the case where water is difficult to obtain, dehydrated foods could be useless.

I keep buying tons of mre's, and canned food, and rotating it out. I keep around 1 month worth of canned food. Was thinking about dehydrated food, but in the case where water is difficult to obtain, dehydrated foods could be useless.

I think that mre's, canned food, and dehydrated foods all have their place. My biggest problem with the dehydrated stuff is that it is very salty. So much so that some folks with hypertension would have problems with it. I have found that a mountain house meal that has been "cut down" with a cup of rice will take away some of the saltiness as well as add some more calories.

You could probably cut some of the salt out with the canned goods as well and it would serve as a source of water as well. I will cook up a can of corn this weekend and then add it to a mountain house meal to see if there is enough water to rehydrate with and report back.

Freeze dried food does require water, and that's another good reason to include some regular canned food as part of your system.

But the fact that freeze dried food puts a light on a lack of preparation to provide water is actually a good thing, because we need to face up to our water problem: get some or we no longer need air. I doubt anyone can store enough water to be confident about their situation, so what we really need is a water source, not a water container. Haven't solved that one yet personally, but we all need to think about it. The guys at the local water plant are probably pretty good dudes & we can count on them during tough times; but when things really get rough, good dudes often find their duty to be at home, not at work.

Reason 10,006 to consider getting back to the land...

Provident is part of the Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints. You can buy storage supplies from them online through the LDS Catalog. These supplies are a fraction of the cost of other retailers. Know any Mormons then you maybe able to access there canning/storage center where you can buy food and bag/can yourself. Prices on wheat, beans, rice, etc are fantastic.

Actually some dehydrated food (think jerky and dried fruits) do not need water to be reconstituted. You can eat as is......you will still need water to drink though.

Back
Top Bottom