• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food vacuum sealer, who does it? Opinion? Pros / cons?

They are the bomb! I’ve been growing hops and after drying use the food saver to pack them away from mean ole mr oxygen. When I hike I keep matches, a pair dry socks sucked tight. I keep a spare set clothes packed in vehicle. You’ll find so many uses. They also work great for fast marinade of meat.

I took a Prep class at the food bank on Jimmy Carter Blvd run by the Mormoms, I bought a food sealer and put it away, my wife just found it now saying why did, I not tell her I had a food sealer, I just said I forgot we had it, this happened 3 minutes ago.

We got one that has the jar/canning attachment to it. She uses Mason jars quite a bit for shelf storage of rice, beans, dry foods, etc..
She really likes it…. most of the better brands have the option too it. Buy a good one the first time, you wont be disappointed!! It will help pay for itself.
She also will help me seal up meats I buy in bulk sometimes or get some meat from hunts. They work real good for marinating too !! You can take thawed meat and dust it with your fav spices and marinade, suck the air out of it and stick it in the fridge overnight…..it pulls the flavors deep into the meat.
Thanks for the info on the jarring capabilities, I didn’t know that was a thing.

So to clarify - you season the meat, then vacuum seal, then the fridge over night (to let the marinade soak in the meat), then into the freezer?
That sounds like an easy process which I’m sure tastes better than seasoning the day of!

I have a Cabela's sealer. I believe it's as close as you can get to a professional model. The bags they sell are also a higher quality. It also has the jar attachment. About the only thing that ever goes on the sealer is the gasket, and it's easy to get one as Cabela's sells them online or at the store.
I have heard the cabelas one was pretty good.
And now I’m learning the canning attachment is a thing I also need to get into!!

Are the bags you use “Cabelas” brand?
Or a different brand name they just sell there?

Thanks for the info on the jarring capabilities, I didn’t know that was a thing.

So to clarify - you season the meat, then vacuum seal, then the fridge over night (to let the marinade soak in the meat), then into the freezer?
That sounds like an easy process which I’m sure tastes better than seasoning the day of!
I do not season or marinade until i thaw to cook the next day….. i will thaw the meat , sometimes in the fridge a day or two. Sometimes will thaw in the sink and marinade overnight in the fridge to cook the next day.
You can marinade and vacume seal the marinade in for a few hours and it tastes good. The vacume helps suck the spices/marinade in the meat pretty quick. Its usually ready within a couple hours.
I have tried manrinade, etc then freeze and when you thaw and cook later the marinade and all is kinda strong.
Generally a couple of hours is sufficient, overnight is better. I will dust with meat tenderizer before seal and freeze, kinda lightly. Then when i thaw to cook, marinade and spice when ready to cook.
Good luck with your search and purchase. Check into a dehydrator too ! (You will learn how to make some great jerky) :)

Make sure you have fuel for the generator for when the power goes out. Gotta keep them things frozen. :pop2:
Freeze drier all the way. Just add water. Or saliva.
Whoa whoa whoa
One step at a time!!

I’m just learning about food savers and NOW I’m hearing I need a freeze drier!

I need more counter space for all my new toys.
Do I need to start another freeze drier thread too?
Haha

Seriously, same general questions:
Do you freeze dry your own stuff?
Which one do you use?
Is it worth it?

What are your most popular / easiest / most difficult freeze dried foods?
Any tips/tricks?

Back
Top Bottom