For all those who like Thumb safeties...

Sooo....he tried to fire but couldn't because he had the safety on. I would say that's not good. Maybe he needs to train better in gross motor skills to take the safety off before he pulls the trigger. But in this scenario, I'm not sure he would have had time. I prefer no thumb safety, but I don't hate on it for those that like it. It's just my preference.

A quick draw situation like that sure makes you think about it. GlockIssue has a good point though, if he hasn't been practicing the same safety
that saved the perp, probably saved the guard from shooting himself in the leg.

A quick draw situation like that sure makes you think about it. GlockIssue has a good point though, if he hasn't been practicing the same safety
that saved the perp, probably saved the guard from shooting himself in the leg.

Haha yup. "I just f****** shot myself!" would have been declared again. Train train train! And always be ready. Especially if you're an armed security guard that is sitting at the front door of a store that's been robbed 5 times in a short period. But kudos to him for wanting to go back. I just hope he trains before he returns.

Haha yup. "I just f****** shot myself!" would have been declared again. Train train train! And always be ready. Especially if you're an armed security guard that is sitting at the front door of a store that's been robbed 5 times in a short period. But kudos to him for wanting to go back. I just hope he trains before he returns.

Might I suggest he finds a better spot to sit if he does go back. Even at the other side of the door, at least the guy would have had to pop his head around the glass.

Might I suggest he finds a better spot to sit if he does go back. Even at the other side of the door, at least the guy would have had to pop his head around the glass.

YES! I was thinking the same dang thing. I think that guy just needs better training overall. If it were me, I wouldn't even sit at the door. I would try to find the best tactical/strategic spot and post up there. Not to mention, if that perp wants to be persistent (which he probably won't because they want to hit easy targets) or warn friends that they have an armed guard, sitting in the same spot everyday just makes yourself a sitting duck. I'm probably giving criminals too much credit, but it can't hurt to put a little effort into how you handle yourself as an armed guard.

This is why I'm disliking thumb safeties on carry gun more and more. In a stressful situation you could forget to put the gun on fire and get yourself killed. The security guard was very lucky he was not hit by that lowlife.

This is why I'm disliking thumb safeties on carry gun more and more. In a stressful situation you could forget to put the gun on fire and get yourself killed. The security guard was very lucky he was not hit by that lowlife.

If you are so poorly trained as to forget the safety, why wouldn't you forget the trigger, too. Taking the safety off is part of drawing the weapon and adds no time to the process. If you don't train with it, you won't be able to use it under stress anyway.

Back
Top Bottom