• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For those w/ interest in the mini farm. A loss.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
For those that have been following the saga of the Basselton Mini Farm, we had a tragic loss today. Olive the mini cow died, she was 3.5 years old. She had been sick, still unknown what exactly she had. We had a vet from Auburn University come last week and he prescribed antibiotics, but hasn't called with the results of the more expansive blood panels. We have been nursing her back to health and thought everything was improving, but got home from work tonight and she had died. Still warm to the touch, so it must've just happened. She looked at peace at least.

Got her out of the pen and will get her buried Monday. Her steer is making the most God awful noises w/ his mama laying dead, covered w a tarp just outside of his pen. It is a sad moment and I am okay, but the girl friend is a mess.

I know it seems silly to ask for prayers over a dead cow, but if you are so inclined, please pray for Kara. She really isn't cut out to be a farmer as she is too sensitive to the death that occurs.

Olive.jpg
1601319_248085705359514_688640607_n.jpg
1618630_268256450009106_515880038_n.jpg

Sorry she is taking this so hard. If you farm you are going to lose the occasional animal. Not as bad when it was going to be dinner. Losing a pet is a sad event.

Therein lies the "problem". Everything to her is a pet. As can be seen in the above photo, the cow was leashed trained and was walked around like a dog. She, Kara, will be fine as she understands these things happen. I think it is just harder on her because she has been giving her shots and fussing over her for the past 2 weeks and it came as a shock to find her dead when she was doing so much better.

Therein lies the "problem". Everything to her is a pet. As can be seen in the above photo, the cow was leashed trained and was walked around like a dog. She, Kara, will be fine as she understands these things happen. I think it is just harder on her because she has been giving her shots and fussing over her for the past 2 weeks and it came as a shock to find her dead when she was doing so much better.
I have had cattle, horses, chicken, turkey's, quail, and others..Time for you to make a decision, with all due respect..The Lord put cloven foot animals to nourish us. They are not pets they are for nourishment, eggs, milk, and meat...If you are going to run a business for profit..Time to wake up, now if she is to emotionally involved...Turn it into a petting farm..I had a bull that I raised from a bottle at maybe 2 weeks old. I called him Paleface because he had a white face..Any time I came outside he would holler, the more I did not pay attention to him, he would holler louder.. When I would take him from one pasture to another, I just opened the gate. He would see this and come out jumping up and down he was so happy..He would follow me even over 800lbs like a puppy..I hated it but sold him for almost 2 bucks per lb..It was a business not a petting zoo! Best of luck with your endeavors , but I strongly suggest, decision need to be made as to the future of what you are doing!! Best of luck!

I have had cattle, horses, chicken, turkey's, quail, and others..Time for you to make a decision, with all due respect..The Lord put cloven foot animals to nourish us. They are not pets they are for nourishment, eggs, milk, and meat...If you are going to run a business for profit..Time to wake up, now if she is to emotionally involved...Turn it into a petting farm..I had a bull that I raised from a bottle at maybe 2 weeks old. I called him Paleface because he had a white face..Any time I came outside he would holler, the more I did not pay attention to him, he would holler louder.. When I would take him from one pasture to another, I just opened the gate. He would see this and come out jumping up and down he was so happy..He would follow me even over 800lbs like a puppy..I hated it but sold him for almost 2 bucks per lb..It was a business not a petting zoo! Best of luck with your endeavors , but I strongly suggest, decision need to be made as to the future of what you are doing!! Best of luck!

Thanks and I completely agree. This is not for profit. She decided one day that she wanted to be a homesteader. First came 3 little ducklings, then the chickens, then the cows. Now she has 17 ducks, 50ish chickens and now, 1 cow. We have been eating on Norman, the wonder bull, for just over a year now; so she knows the end result is the freezer. I think if Olive was killed on her terms and put in the freezer, she would be okay w/ it. She'd never admit it, but maybe she sees it like I do; that was a lot of money down the drain...

Thanks and I completely agree. This is not for profit. She decided one day that she wanted to be a homesteader. First came 3 little ducklings, then the chickens, then the cows. Now she has 17 ducks, 50ish chickens and now, 1 cow. We have been eating on Norman, the wonder bull, for just over a year now; so she knows the end result is the freezer. I think if Olive was killed on her terms and put in the freezer, she would be okay w/ it. She'd never admit it, but maybe she sees it like I do; that was a lot of money down the drain...
I enjoyed the three dozen duck eggs for the cause..Now with all the baking I did, I am having request that I have to turn down..They were great for baking and thanks!! Good luck with your adventure!

Back
Top Bottom