• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For those who own night vision...

The Jerry 31's seem to be a popular first purchase now. Just know that it is chinese everything and gen 2 tubes. But at 4k for a tester dual set-up, it may be worth a look? I'd still recommend a high spec 14 or used GP duals for a couple grand more over em, but the jerry's could be an option.

Gen2 is pretty ok. Gen3 depending on the FOM is good to amazing. If you dont have anywhere to walk/ shoot with it dont buy it. Neighborhoods are dog**** for using nods because of streetlights/porch lights

Is it worth it? Any regrets? Are dual tubes that much better than a single?

I have some really nice dual tube white phosphorus nods. They're cool to show people who have never looked through NVG before, stargazing, hunting varmints around the land at night.

With that said, the novelty wore off after a few months. I don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would for a couple of reasons:

-There's nowhere to go after the sun goes down. Everything public is closed.

-I'm in bed by 9 PM most nights.

-They cost north of $7,000 (After being on sale already) and I'm a neurotic mess if something even slightly bumps or touches them while in use.

I've been pondering the idea of selling them and buying something which would get more use like a nice PRS rig with solid glass.

Other considerations when getting into NVG are the other costs to ensure your setup is comfortable: Decent helmet, Wilcox mount and 4D padding will tag on another $800ish and a WML will run $600-2500+

I have some really nice dual tube white phosphorus nods. They're cool to show people who have never looked through NVG before, stargazing, hunting varmints around the land at night.

With that said, the novelty wore off after a few months. I don't use them nearly as much as I thought I would for a couple of reasons:

-There's nowhere to go after the sun goes down. Everything public is closed.

-I'm in bed by 9 PM most nights.

-They cost north of $7,000 (After being on sale already) and I'm a neurotic mess if something even slightly bumps or touches them while in use.

I've been pondering the idea of selling them and buying something which would get more use like a nice PRS rig with solid glass.

Other considerations when getting into NVG are the other costs to ensure your setup is comfortable: Decent helmet, Wilcox mount and 4D padding will tag on another $800ish and a WML will run $600-2500+
The ancillary buys add up quickly. Depending on what you already have of course.

NV compatible optics
LAM's
IR/white weapons light
Taller optic mounts so that you can shoot with your shiny new nods
Helmet and padding if needed
Counterweight
NV mount
Ear pro
Ear pro mounts
IR/white illum for helmet
Map light
Iris'
Sac lens
IR marker/beacon

Rule of thumb, if it's for use with night vision, it costs 5-10x more than one would think.

But still - has been worth it for me.
SCNVG.png

If you're considering it and have a use for it. Then the answer is yes. I went with dual tubes knowing I would have depth perception issues if not and I have no regrets. But like others said. It's not just the cost of the tubes. You need all the other stuff. I tell friends get ready to drop 10k to get fully set up. And if you need to test some out I got plenty of space down here and it's ****ing dark when the sun goes down.

Back
Top Bottom