• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford ranger rear end

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ford ranger that I'm going to fix up for my son who will be on the road before l know it. It needs some work. Most of it I've got figured out. It's an old truck with its share of leaks. The thing I'm having trouble with is the rear end. Not looking to put a ton of money into it. Just trying to find the right one at a decent price. When l Google the tag on the dif none of the ratios come up. There are some close but not exact. Anyone know a good place to get them at a decent price? What to look for and look out for.

Attachments

• Resized_20220321_162913.jpeg
    Resized_20220321_162913.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 13
That should be a 7.5" with 10" brakes and 3.72 gear. What is wrong with yours? I believe from that ratio it would be either a 4cyl or 3.0L V6.

Also, unless it is 4WD then differential ratio is not that important. You would just have to re-calibrate the speedo if you change ratios. Personally I would like a 4:11 in my 03 Ranger. Better low end, better for towing the boat.

It's 2wd 4 cylinder.

It knocks real bad. When it's jacked up you can slide the tires in and out about a 1/2 inch. I haven't opened it up yet to see if it's worth rebuilding

A little end play in the axles is normal. Too many things could cause the "knocking" to venture a guess. Could be axle bearings but if they were that bad it is likely the brakes would be soaked with diff lube. Could be a tooth busted on the pinion. Several things that could cause it.

Back
Top Bottom