• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford triton v8 skipping a cylinder. Info needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max_Gain

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I have a 1999 ford expedition with a 5.4L V8.
The motor hesitates as if it is missing a cylinder, very noticeable around 2k rpm.
engine has about 90k on the clock.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and looking for potential causes and possible repair cost.
Cant get to the spark plugs or ignition wires due to the ford construction, would normally look at that first.

Any info wold be helpful.
Thanks!

Hey y'all,I have a 1999 ford expedition with a 5.4L V8.The motor hesitates as if it is missing a cylinder, very noticeable around 2k rpm.engine has about 90k on the clock.Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and looking for potential causes and possible repair cost.Cant get to the spark plugs or ignition wires due to the ford construction, would normally look at that first.Any info wold be helpful.Thanks!
You can get to the plugs, but if you don't know how I would take it to a pro. Those plugs are known to strip and damage the head. At 90k it is more than likely to be the plugs, they will need to be changed anyway.

Just went thru this on my BIL's 5.4 Triton and I couldn't believe how long he had put up with it.
I changed out all eight coil packs and eight new plugs and WOW what a difference.
He said thanks for the new truck and he gained a little over 1mpg! :thumb:

BTW...at 90k I would highly reccomend changing all 16 components out.
Triton coil packs are notorious for failing.
My BIL's had just over 90k on original coils/plugs. As cautious and preventative as I was I still broke two of the original plugs but the Lisle broke plug removal tool worked great!

Last edited:
If it's a 99 you're long over due for new coil packs. Surprised they last this long. Now's a good time to throw a complete tune up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom