Forget the proposal to add background checks to Trusts. It gets much WORSE

Also I read over on M4Carbine.net that Ted Cruz has been advising the American Silencer Association on how to deal with this issue.

If this man is Constitutionally eligible to run for President, then he deserves all of our support.

OK, so by 'responsible person' they mean literally everyone...

...the term includes any individual, including any grantor, trustee, beneficiary, partner, member, officer, director, board member, owner, shareholder, or manager, who possesses, directly or indirectly, the power or authority under any trust instrument, contract, agreement, article, certificate, bylaw, or instrument, or under state law, to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the entity.

So pretty much every ****ers you list on your trust or corps.

I'm still baffled at the fact that NFA already has ruling where NICS is required if NFA is purchased thru an entity.... Why are they doing this when they could easily change the form 4473?

I don't give a **** if I have to go get finger prints and photos everytiime but now the whole family has to go? I will go individual route if thats the case.

So when this goes into effect, one will have to ask themselves, what's the point in having a NFA trust.

The way it's looking, they will be more trouble than they are worth.

So when this goes into effect, one will have to ask themselves, what's the point in having a NFA trust.

From what I was told when I created mine, there are a couple of benefits that still apply.

If you ever get charged with a felony crime (or anything that can lose you your gun rights), and you have NFA items registered to you as an individual, you are screwed.

The ATF supposedly has a history of re-arresting folks in that situation for being a prohibited person in possession of an NFA item, usually after being 'tipped off' by the prosecutors office. You can't even legally transfer them to someone else since you are now no longer legally allowed to own them in the first place.

With a trust you can resign your position in the trust as soon as you are charged, which keeps the items legal and free from possible impounding. The next person in line simply becomes the executor of the trust.

It also prevents issues when inheriting NFA items, since there's no transfer happening. It sounds like the new rules would add an exemption for that in the case of individuals, but it's only relevant for the executor of the estate during the probate process.

At some point the items have to go through the regular transfer process with the ATF, and given the delays at the ATF these days, that could extend probate of a will out to over a year easily.

In the end, a trust still has a few advantages to offset the increased hassles this rule change would impose.

Last edited:
Actually when the beneficiary inherits the NFA items, it must be transferred via individual on a form 5. That's of course no more trustees in line.

Actually when the beneficiary inherits the NFA items, it must be transferred via individual on a form 5. That's of course no more trustees in line.

Yup, sounds logical. Like you say though, if there are other trustees in line you don't have to mess with transfers at all.

Left a comment. Everyone needs to comment. Remember to be polite even though they're trying to make our life harder.

No, the issue is who is in posession or has access to the items. If you have an NFA item at home and someone else lives there and also has access to the item, they are breaking the law unless its registered to them.. The only way I'm aware of, to register an item to my entire household is through a trust.. I dont care if I have to give fingerprints or photo, but I'm already on file for my CCW and now NFA items. Any time my trust shows up with the extorsion tax check, I should get automatic approval since I've already proven myself and my trust once.. I should be good till I'm proven not to be rather than being treated like a criminal that needs to prove my innocense every time... I'm pretty certain my name is on a database somewhere, if something happens with the items in my NFA, I have no doubt I'd be getting a knock on my door..

Back
Top Bottom