• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fork tube oil and seal replacement

cimino289

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Honda shadow 750 with around 56,000 miles on it and was wondering if anyone could lend any advice or recommend a mechanic that does good honest work. It isn't a primary concern right now but I think the bike may need it in the next several thousand miles what are your thoughts?

YouTube. The best mechanic is you. Tools are cheap, especially Chinese-made for one time use. Most mechanics don't care about you or your your ride, and the rest are less knowledgeable than you. If you know the difference between a socket and a ratchet, you can turn your own wrenches.

YouTube. The best mechanic is you. Tools are cheap, especially Chinese-made for one time use. Most mechanics don't care about you or your your ride, and the rest are less knowledgeable than you. If you know the difference between a socket and a ratchet, you can turn your own wrenches.
This . /\

It's worth doing yourself and pretty straightforward. The only twist can be is sometime you need to mock up a tool to remove the damper.

Suspension, like brakes, is one of those things that you want done right. You are not that far from Traxxion Dynamics. Pull your forks off and bring them to their shop for a rebuild. Call them ahead of time and give them your weight and details and things, and they can order up the right springs for you and fluid weight for a better ride...

If you are a mechanic, I would say do it yourself, but in light of you even asking this question I assume that you are not, no offense.

The notion that "all mechanics are out to screw you" or that "you know more than they do" is pretty laughable.

Doing a fork rebuild, especially on a non-adjustable unit isn't rocket science, but in general, there are some things that I prefer to leave to a pro... I have a guy that is an Ohlins tech, plus there are really good race shops that can also do this in their sleep. The Ducshop, Traxxion, ThermosMan, Opie over at CaylorMade...

Marietta Motorsports is no longer in business, but @Huey130 is a member here and one of the only guys I will let wrench on my bikes. Reach out to him, he may still be doing side jobs out of his home shop. You won't find a better guy in the southeast, or a nicer guy to work with.

Back
Top Bottom