• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Found some oversize flash holes

I recall reading about flash holes drilled out for wax bullets for revolvers. Basically, you could practice in your basement with nothing more than the primer going off. Hang a sheet to catch the wax and boom your very own indoor shooting range.
I've got nothing for a 45 acp however

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

What do you mean You use them all the time? Brass does not come with flash holes four times as big as original factory size. Why would you drill out the holes? And flash holes have a standard size, and should not be smaller or larger. I have a hunch these were drilled for some kind of special purpose.

It sounds like you had your mind made up not to use them before starting this thread. So go with your gut, if you are afraid of them DON'T use them.
Many people have said they are fine, but if you don't feel comfortable loading them, then don't.

Mmix224 is correct, they were likely drilled to shoot wax or rubber bullets, if they aren't drilled for this purpose, insufficient pressure allows primer set back, the primer partially pushing away from the case. In normal load function the pressure created by powder and the mass of the bullet pushes back or keeps the primer seated.
I would not use them. There is a chance they would not be a problem but it is also quite possible they could blow a primer, harming your pistol or you. Not worth the risk for the price of a few pieces of brass, IMO.
Though not as common as semi auto loading, the .45 ACP is chambered in a number of revolvers.

Thanks horsehat, I felt the same, and finally got around to taking a picture of a normal hole and one of the larger holes side by side. Wallace

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 28
What do you mean You use them all the time? Brass does not come with flash holes four times as big as original factory size. Why would you drill out the holes? And flash holes have a standard size, and should not be smaller or larger. I have a hunch these were drilled for some kind of special purpose.
I find them at the range all the time. I reload them just like any other 45ACP. Never had a problem. They shoot just like the rest. I was told that some competition shooters like to open up the flash hole for better powder ignition. Makes since but has not affect on what I use them for.

Its that ever constant quest by some to achieve maximum accuracy.
While a particular brand of brass usually has pretty standard size primer hole, that's why many people load by case brand.
if you quickly look at different brands of brass then yo will see many different size holes as well as different shapes.
IF to large (as in modified) I would be concerned about pressure levels, if factory brass then I don't worry much about it.

Back
Top Bottom