• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fox squirrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen em in all shapes, sizes and colors. I have even seen a rabid fox squirrel. I worked for 4 years on a 450 acre pecan orchard. We always kept shotguns in the tractors. Some days, we would shoot 50 and come right back the next day and shoot 50 more. They were everywhere!

I used to hunt in oglethorpe county ,east of Lexington and that place was covered up with em. They're odd to watch too. They move more like a cat than a squirrel. I've seen white,black,red and several mixtures of those colors.
Yeah, I hunted in Oglethorpe too between Comer and Lexington. Saw lots of Fox squirrels on our lease, black, red, and a golden color too. Shot quite a few and yes, they are good eating!

Been trying to kill one for years. Every time I see one all I have is a deer rifle or shotgun with 00 buckshot. It will happen eventually.

I also give them a pass. They are scarce in some areas and common in others. They prefer open forested areas with a sparse canopy. If you keep the stands burned off, it will help attract them.

I've seen both red and blue ones down were we hunt. They are fun to watch and a lot bigger than you would expect coming down thru the woods. I saw a tan colored one over at my buddy's place hunting a few years ago that let me walk to within about 10 yards before it went further up the tree. I normally just watch them as they are a lot rarer where we hunt than 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom