• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tried and true methods to bag foxes?

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
We've lost a couple of ducks and at least a half dozen chickens in the last two weeks to a fox. I've come close to bagging it a couple of times, but the new foliage is making it harder, and it's a fox, so it's cagey. Our yard is mostly surrounded by two creeks running through fairly deep valleys, and the fox definitely uses the valley as a cover for its movements, which means the attack can come from any direction. Today was the worst day yet. At least two, maybe three chickens killed, at least one other injured. The chickens are secure at night in a coop. The attacks are daytime.

We have a female Weimaraner. She's a good livestock watchdog, but she can't be out 100% of the time, and the wife and I can only stand guard duty so much, due to other responsibilities, namely work and chores.

Any suggestions?

I'd be setting up a foothold trap or two. You would have to check the regulations being out of season. There may be a clause for damage to property or livestock, I honestly don't know. Make sure the family pets don't get in 'em!

I'd be setting up a foothold trap or two. You would have to check the regulations being out of season. There may be a clause for damage to property or livestock, I honestly don't know. Make sure the family pets don't get in 'em!

Thought about it, but can't place traps because of the dog. She has free access to the entire property.

Dogs and horses have worked for the landed gentry for centuries.
I'd try that.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
IN for a meet and greet and fox hunt on rbstern rbstern 's place!
1712701582007.png

I have caught them in cage traps on occasion but only in the coldest weather.
They will step over any bait to get to them chickens.
Your birds are on borrowed time whenever they outside a pen - everything eats chickens.

Don’t sound like a predator today they normally don’t kill for fun it’s to eat.if one is missing daily proberly so.but if they killing multiple and not eating I’d say domestic animal

Don’t sound like a predator they normally don’t kill for fun it’s to eat.

fox will kill a several and leave them for the hope of coming back for them later. fox assumes they may not still be there if it were to come back, smarter to kill as many as it can and just keep coming back for the bodies.

Back
Top Bottom