• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"Franken ARs Just Dont Work" Let me know what you think

Buying one (an upper) assembled is the easy way to do it if you can get what you want. Otherwise, do it like I did after the Clinton Ban, get a Marine Corp Armorer's Manual on the M16, a torque wrench and a few AR specific tools and do it yourself. It's not difficult.

Last edited:
I would go to hell and back with my parts gun and my Pmags before I ever used GI mags. Just my .02

With so many options it hard not to build you own to suit your needs.

I figure self built ar15s have a lot more care and attention given to their construction. I don't think a factory worker cares quite as much when they slap them together. Use mil-spec parts and you're pretty much guaranteed a good shooter. brownells has videos that tell you exactly how to do it

Cdnn has a piston AR for something like $850 if he doesn't care to build it. But that brings up the point, why use a piston? its a solution without a problem. ar accuracy is impart due to the direct impingement gas system; less recoiling mass is a good thing.

All the gas piston system does is takes the heat and build up from around the bolt area, to around the front gas block. Contrary to Couch Commandos everywhere, the piston system on Ar's require just as much cleaning as the standard Direct gas impingement system....And one of my friends has a Piston Ar and you are correct, the extra weight of the piston(all be it not much) while recoiling affects ones ability to rapidly put rounds on target....

Like you said it is a solution to a problem that never existed....more marketing ploy than anything.

Now an upper is a different story, I don't feel confident enough to try headspacing, proper torquing, and setting up a gas system..

upper builds are cake. all you need is a torque wrench, ar armorer's wrench, and a set of headspacing gauges. spend a little money on brownells and watch all the ar build videos, you'll be good to go.

If you want a piston AR, save some money and buy a Daewoo K2. It'll run a little extra to "tacticool" it up as the rail handguards are expensive, but not so much more than good AR types.

Back
Top Bottom