• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Free 6.8 feed issue repairs

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Some of these rifles have feed issues and it can be frustrating. If you want it fixed for free get with me and I can make that happen. You have to deliver the rifle and I can fix while you wait.

Can't do that. I need tools and a rotary grinder to fix the problem. You will have to bring the gun and mags to Acworth so I can have access to my tools in my shop. I know I can be a hassle to drive a little but it's well worth it to fix a problem that shouldn't be there to begin with. I had to do the same mods on both my 6.8's I just build. There is nothing more frustrating than having a problem you just can't to the bottom of. I can get rid of the issues but I do need the proper tools. My guns function just like a brand new 5.56 now.

Are you referring to these "feed issues"?

On the ARP set up the ejector was to long and not allowing the cartridge to slide across the bolt face and center itself to chamber. I noticed the right side of the cartridge was riding on the right side lugs when the bolt stopped short. The left rim of the cartridge was hitting the long ejector and binding everything up. Shortening the ejector allowed the cartridge to slide over it to center the cartridge and not bind up the bolt. The 18 inch Wilson Combat barrel with the Daniel Defense bolt would almost chamber but come up just about a 1/2 of an inch short from locking the lugs. I removed the 0-ring from around the spring under the extractor and that fixed the issue. That o-ring was providing to much resistance and not allowing the extractor to slip over the case rim. I was using an AR Stoner magazine for reference. Neither guns would feed with that mag before the modifications.. Also the ARP set up was just failing to feed from the right side of the mag only. It would feed fine from the left. Hope this helps guys.

That just sounds like bad quality control from ARP and the viton o-rings are pretty much useless on all but the most overgassed of guns.

I'm curious, because I don't own a Six8, what magazines do you use?

Last edited:
I use them all. After the modifications my C products, PRI, Barrett and AR stoner all work. The problem is in the bolt not in the magazines. Some magazines can cause problems if you rest the gun on the mag when shooting but not cycling all together is just bolt issues. ARP and Daniel Defense both ejectors had to be modified and the o-ring in the DD had to be removed to allow the bolt to seat completely. I can grind down the ejector slightly or I can modify a new one and replace it. Either way 99 percent of the time the answer is in the bolt. If you pull up 6.8 feed issues on the Web you will find that this is a on going problem that extends far past just ARP. For some reason even on factory built guns the problem still exist. Everybody just automatically goes to the magazine for the answer.

Last edited:
I was just curious about the magazines because I might build up a 6.8 for hunting. Thanks.

It is strange that these factory bolts require modification.

from what i read yes but most attribute it to the mags. I had to modify the ARP bolt and the Daniel Defense bolt. I bought the complete bolt carrier group from Daniel Defense. The ARP bolt I used in a Nickle Boron bolt carrier.

I was just curious about the magazines because I might build up a 6.8 for hunting. Thanks.

It is strange that these factory bolts require modification.
It worth the build. Reloading which I am just getting into is getting 3000 fps with a 100 gr. projectile. Now that a wicked MF. Kinda a 243 mixed with a 308 as far as muzzle velocity and lbs. of force upon impact. I love this round. I still have four trusty 5.56 but I have since built two 6.8's. Accuracy and similar trajectory without a hot load. The ARP barrel is very accurate with just a holo sight. The wilson combat with a 3-9x40 is very very accurate. When I start running the reloads is gonna be crazy accurate.

from what i read yes but most attribute it to the mags. I had to modify the ARP bolt and the Daniel Defense bolt. I bought the complete bolt carrier group from Daniel Defense. The ARP bolt I used in a Nickle Boron bolt carrier.
I still can't wrap my head around the idea that shortening the ejector is the correct solution to a feed/ejection issue. And the guns should not be sensitive to resting the magazine on the ground either. There's got to be something else going on with the gas port, chamber, extension or buffer system. I can understand getting the occasional out of spec part (ejector) but I don't understand why you should need to modify every one just to get the guns to function. That sounds like the ejector mod is just helping mask some other issue.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that shortening the ejector is the correct solution to a feed/ejection issue. And the guns should not be sensitive to resting the magazine on the ground either. There's got to be something else going on with the gas port, chamber, extension or buffer system. I can understand getting the occasional out of spec part (ejector) but I don't understand why you should need to modify every one just to get the guns to function. That sounds like the ejector mod is just helping mask some other issue.
The gun wouldn't even chamber on the first try. Meaning using the charging handle. When I looked at the round on the ARP on first load the round was resting on the ejection port side of the bolt. Which means something was causing it to center in the bolt. Upon inspection you could visibly see something was causing it to stop before centering. Now when you took the bolt out you could see the ejector was sitting about the outer face of the bolt. Hence stopping the rounds from sliding all the way across the bolt face and allow the round to latch under the extractor and push down the ejector. The ejector sticking up was stopping the round in it's tracks and pushing the round into the chamber at an awkward angle and jamming. As soon as I used a die grinder and leveled the ejector and beveled it slightly it ran like a champ. The gun wouldn't even chamber the first round by hand. It was mostly happening on the ejection port side of the magazine. You can see where this would happen there more often. Now on the Daniel Defense the same problem existed. No feed from the right of the mag and short stroking stopping short of the chamber. That was the result of the extractor being to tight. After removing the o-ring and leveling the ejector all problems ceased and desisted. I have ran hundreds of rounds through without fault through two guns that wouldn't even chamber a round to begin with. Most want to attribute this to the magazines. My problems had nothing to do with mags. I can now run any magazine I want and have no issued what so ever. The ejector has to be at least level with or slighly lower than the outer bolt face or the round will never center in front of the bolt and allow the proper angle to feed. I am not the only one to encounter this issue. Look it up on 68 forums. It has been encountered many times before. I have since purchased a ejector removal tool and spare ejectors to remedy the problem if it arises again. You have to understand that if anything stops the round from sliding all the way across the bolt face it will stop and try to enter the chamber at an odd angle and stop in it tracks. The round would chamber sometimes from the left side of the magazine because it doesn't have to slide across from the right. It would simply push the ejector down and chamber. Only from the right when the rim of the cartridge would slam against the overly long ejector that the problem existed every time. Believe me it had nothing to do with gas ports, magazines, or buffers. If that was the problem the gun would at least chamber a single round and stop. The gun simply would not chamber with the charging handle from the get go. That eliminate gas, buffer and mag issues right off the bat. If the bullet wouldn't chamber and would not fire those problems can't be an issue. Period!

Back
Top Bottom