• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga House Bill 292

This passed out of the House PS & HS Committee today. Moves on to the House Rules Committee and then a House Floor vote before Crossover Day. Then it will move over to the Senate side.

This bill has SEVERAL pro-gun reforms. Legal immunity from suits against firearms instructors when one of their students negligently or intentionally shoots somebody, acting contradictory to his or her training. Allowing probate courts to distribute gun safety literature or flyers promoting local basic handgun classes at local shooting ranges. HB 292 lets private citizens use the gun storage lockers at courthouses that have such lockers for use by cops.

Now is the time to start calling your Georgia STATE SENATOR and ask him or her to support HB 292.

If you don't know who YOUR state Representative and Senator are, or what House and Senate districts you are in, just go to this link and type in your address (or ANY address in your neighborhood!) and it will tell you who these people are.

https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/

I called my State Senator, along with the Chairman and Vice Chair of the Senate rules committee. I asked them all the support this bill along with the two other pro-gun bills that came over from the House .

Bill passed right before lunch. Has to go back to the House for agreement with the substitute the Senate added in committee. If they agree, then it goes to Deal's desk.

Georgia House Bill 292 was passed out of a subcommittee the other day, and now it goes before the full House Public Safety/ Homeland Security Committee soon. If it passes out of the committee, then all the House members in the Georgia General Assembly will get to vote on it.

HB 292 is a good, but mild and restrained, pro-gun law.
It should be supported by all gun owners and carry permit holders.

-- It creates a 90 day extension of reciprocity rights when an out-of-state person moves here and becomes a new GA resident, but hasn't had a chance to get his or her GWL yet.

-- It shortens one of the deadlines in the issuance of a GWL from 30 days down to 10 days. (That's going to be the new time limit on law enforcement agencies sending the criminal history report to the Probate Court judge).

-- It adds regular knives, regardless of blade length, to the kinds of weapons you can carry without a GWL when you're legally hunting or fishing. (This was probably not required, as there is no statewide law against carrying smaller knives, with blades under 5", regardless of having a permit or not, and Georgia's preemption law, 16-11-173 already forbids any level of state, county, or city governments, other than the Georgia General Assembly itself, from creating or enforcing any weapons-control laws).

-- HB 292 beefs up the coverage of 16-11-130, which exempts certain people like cops, prosecutors, judges, Clerks of Court, etc. from the carry permit requirement and most of the off-limits locations laws in Georgia.

-- Retired cops from jurisdictions outside of Georgia are now allowed to carry on just their retirement credentials, or other documentation that they put in at least 10 years of service as a sworn police officer and left that career on good terms, not fired for misconduct or whatever.

-- Probate Courts can give away gun safety literature or flyers from instructors or groups that offer gun safety training and classes to the public.

-- Firearms instructors and other teachers in the use of weapons will get immunity from any liability if a student or former student hurts somebody with the illegal or unsafe use of a weapon.

I hope it Passes!!

Late last night the House accepted the Senate substitute. HB 292: Firearms; laws relating to the carrying of weapons and safety; revise and clarify; by Rep. Jasperse of the 11th - was accepted as amended in the Senate, passed the House and is now awaiting action from the Governor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bill was signed this afternoon.

a9e9003d835e781819138f27adac3794.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom