• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

I'm thinking of having a whole house propane generator installed. ( which means I'm going to need a tank as well) Just how noisy are propane powered generators and are they reliable?
I have one. We lost power after a storm for 4 days two years back. I had a small gasoline generator that took care of a lot for us but the well I was on was different story. Our toilets needed water……and my wife has Celiac Disease. (IYKYK). I’m no saint either

Went to Home Depot. They have a program through Cantor Power that was 60 months same as cash. I tried to buy the biggest they had but they talked me down to what I really needed (didn’t sell me anything I didn’t need). I paid $500 down and it was installed and working in 3 weeks.

It automatically kicks on with a power loss. They inspect it annually. I think that’s $150.

It is super quiet. It’s outside my bedroom window.

I had to add a second tank for it. Just because of my current set up. (Panel on one side- and current tank on the other). We could have dug a line all the way around but this was easier.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier. It’s reliable, works great and they exceeded my expectations. PM me for any details.

I finally got a generac 22KW Whole
House set up with a 500 gal propane tank buried.
I still have my outside plug in for a back up plan in case I need to plug my dual fuel generator in if the generac fails for any reason.
I also have a gasoline generator I got in a trade for work situation.

I gotta say that dealing with the propane companies up here in the mountains it was a freaking nightmare.
Alot of the companies got bought out by gas Incorporated and they all share information and you never know which company you’re talking to when trying to set up what I set up.
I needed a buried tank, the hook up done from tank to generator and the tank filled.

Easy right?

Nope.

This freaking ordeal was the absolute worst business deal I ever got involved in.

Nobody knew what the other person was doing or telling me.
They made promises over the phone that they never honored.
They sent numerous different trucks to perform the same task and made it seem like my fault when I told them it was already taken care of by another company.

All because I wanted to save $2000 by not dealing with the one still small mom and pop shop that wanted $2-k more for the tank than the other place did.

The workers were pretty cool and the guy that filled the tank was cool but dealing with those morons in the phone was the worst experience ever.
I’m glad it’s over but I’m still waiting on my itemized receipt because they just don’t have have their act together at all.

Once these small companies get bought out by corporate entities forget customer service.
They also never informed me that I would be dealing with several different company names .
I still don’t know who I dealt with it seems and my bill was $400
More than the original quote that the lady over the phone gave me.
She was supposed to give the inform to the other lady that was supposed to send me the written quote ….I still
Never got the written quote.
They failed to charge me tax for the tank then had to readjust once another lady caught the mistake…..see what I mean?

And the whole time my wife was chewing my ass out to get written quotes and also get the work done asap….what a mother effer this was.

I talked to management and got the $400 taken off and I had a long conversation with them on how bad they suck and what they need to do to get their act together.

Pretty futile I’m sure cause they seem to give a crap.

I finally got a generac 22KW Whole
House set up with a 500 gal propane tank buried.
I still have my outside plug in for a back up plan in case I need to plug my dual fuel generator in if the generac fails for any reason.
I also have a gasoline generator I got in a trade for work situation.

I gotta say that dealing with the propane companies up here in the mountains it was a freaking nightmare.
Alot of the companies got bought out by gas Incorporated and they all share information and you never know which company you’re talking to when trying to set up what I set up.
I needed a buried tank, the hook up done from tank to generator and the tank filled.

Easy right?

Nope.

This freaking ordeal was the absolute worst business deal I ever got involved in.

Nobody knew what the other person was doing or telling me.
They made promises over the phone that they never honored.
They sent numerous different trucks to perform the same task and made it seem like my fault when I told them it was already taken care of by another company.

All because I wanted to save $2000 by not dealing with the one still small mom and pop shop that wanted $2-k more for the tank than the other place did.

The workers were pretty cool and the guy that filled the tank was cool but dealing with those morons in the phone was the worst experience ever.
I’m glad it’s over but I’m still waiting on my itemized receipt because they just don’t have have their act together at all.

Once these small companies get bought out by corporate entities forget customer service.
They also never informed me that I would be dealing with several different company names .
I still don’t know who I dealt with it seems and my bill was $400
More than the original quote that the lady over the phone gave me.
She was supposed to give the inform to the other lady that was supposed to send me the written quote ….I still
Never got the written quote.
They failed to charge me tax for the tank then had to readjust once another lady caught the mistake…..see what I mean?

And the whole time my wife was chewing my ass out to get written quotes and also get the work done asap….what a mother effer this was.

I talked to management and got the $400 taken off and I had a long conversation with them on how bad they suck and what they need to do to get their act together.

Pretty futile I’m sure cause they seem to give a crap.
Did you buy the tank?
22kw is a very big system. That should meet all of your needs with no problem.
Does it start automatically on loss of power and switch all loads automatically?

Did you buy the tank?
22kw is a very big system. That should meet all of your needs with no problem.
Does it start automatically on loss of power and switch all loads automatically?
Yes I bought the tank.
The best price I found was $3300 plus tax for the tank.
They’re like gold right now.
Most places wanted 1000
Gal tank prices for a 500 gal tank.

Yes Sir it has the automatic transfer switch that comes on about 15 secs after power goes out.

Here’s the set up in progress.

Attachments

• 36EA7C0B-45CF-420C-B905-8ECCD51C349D.jpeg
    36EA7C0B-45CF-420C-B905-8ECCD51C349D.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2E030D2D-7B56-43D3-9C0C-B0A49AA57AFE.jpeg
    2E030D2D-7B56-43D3-9C0C-B0A49AA57AFE.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes I bought the tank.
The best price I found was $3300 plus tax for the tank.
They’re like gold right now.
Most places wanted 1000
Gal tank prices for a 500 gal tank.

Yes Sir it has the automatic transfer switch that comes in about 15 secs after power goes out.
Owning the tank is definitely the way to go if you can swing it. Otherwise you are locked in to a single supplier who has you over a barrel.

Back
Top Bottom