• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia becoming a QDM state?

i agree with MRH.

I'm a meat Hunter and could care less about trophies but on the other hand I'd prefer to let them grow up at least to a mature size before harvesting one since they're far outnumbered by does.

Just the opposite with me. In my area we are seeing more bucks and that disturbs me. I would much rather take a 4 pointer than a doe for meat. Just one more reason not to have QDM start dates statewide. One buck can breed with 10-15 does a year, but a doe can only breed once a year

Don't get me wrong, OP. I hunt for the big ones most of the time. Still, if I want to take a young buck in the last week of the season and my freezer is empty, he's going down.

I believe the only change we need is to cut down on all those doe tags.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire state regulate the min number of points on antlers to 8(min of 4/side). There's nothing that erks me more, that seeing somebody coming out of the woods with a spiker or 4 pointer BC they didn't want to end the season empty handed. Small bucks become big bucks. Now, I've seen massive 6 point bucks that would make Great Wall mounts and I'm sure mistakes will be made and small 6'rs will get shot, but there's no reason for something with 4 points or less to be shot, unless it's a doe

You ain't kidding. A guy down at my old hunting club took a 6 point with a 22" inside spread. He was massive too. A sure enough mature trophy. The club still fined him $100 because he didn't have 4 on one side! LOL!
I would have taken the fine. Thats the best part for me not being in a club I never have to worry with it. I can shoot what I want as long as it's legal. I'm happy with that. If meat is thin and it's end of the season I'm not above shooting a 4 point.

I don't know alot of people that max out on their doe tags nor bag more than two or less deer per season.
I'm sure the numbers after this years game check will give us an idea.
Most of the time I could tag out on does no problem, but I only take what I need plus a little extra to give to a few folks each year that can't hunt.

Then there's no need to take a 4pt if you're tagging out on doe's right?
I could tag out on doe's. I've let a few walk this year. Last year I seen doe's almost every hunt. Letting them walk has helped build the numbers over the past couple of years. Each one that gets a pass it's an extra deer next season. I have't shot a 4 point in maybe 4 years that I knew was a 4 point. I popped on last year on accident at first light that was running with doe's and his little antlers weren't even higher than his ears. I was kind of upset after letting a few much bigger bucks walk.

I could tag out on doe's. I've let a few walk this year. Last year I seen doe's almost every hunt. Letting them walk has helped build the numbers over the past couple of years. Each one that gets a pass it's an extra deer next season. I have't shot a 4 point in maybe 4 years that I knew was a 4 point. I popped on last year on accident at first light that was running with doe's and his little antlers weren't even higher than his ears. I was kind of upset after letting a few much bigger bucks walk.
Yea. I'm basically in the same position. I've got 3 doe's in the freezer and now I'm just waiting on a big boy to come along. I've passed on a few 6pts, hoping he'll come by here soon. The rut ain't far off so we still got time.

Back
Top Bottom