• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia becoming a QDM state?

I would have taken the fine. Thats the best part for me not being in a club I never have to worry with it. I can shoot what I want as long as it's legal. I'm happy with that. If meat is thin and it's end of the season I'm not above shooting a 4 point.

I love shooting 4 points! LOL...I let them walk 98% of the time, but I've scored on a couple of them at the end of the season, and was quite thrilled to have them.
Oh that member wasn't worried about the fine. He was pretty happy.
I don't do clubs either. I have found a better way since those days. And that's another thing. My oldest hunting buddy took his son down to my spot last year and he killed his first buck. It was just a spike, but it made the kid a deer hunter for life! To me that is much more important than myself or some other grown man taking a big buck. It just doesn't matter when you're a boy and have never taken one.

I believe hunters should be allowed to kill whatever they want, as long as they stay within the guidelines/tag limits. I like big bucks as much as the next guy, but lots of hunters are meat hunters and should not be subjected to the trophy standards of other hunters. The hunting world has enough enemies. It makes no sense to cause dissension among ourselves.

If people want QDM, they need to join a QDM club.
I used to feel very much that way but after purchasing 140 Acres surrounded by 2 private owners that do QDM with 1100 together. We have seen and Harvested 130-160 class every year. If you want meat... Shoot does.

The biggest problem with QDM is the amount of hunters is already declining . This will make some quit and will not make any decide to become hunters . It will be a net loss in hunters overall which is a bad thing to tax revenue which is what drives most of the regulations . Then to compensate hunting license prices go up and more hunters turn away . It is a bad idea as a rule . It should be easier not harder to hunt .

I used to feel very much that way but after purchasing 140 Acres surrounded by 2 private owners that do QDM with 1100 together. We have seen and Harvested 130-160 class every year. If you want meat... Shoot does.

When I see more does than bucks I will. Until then I will shoot a young buck instead. We definitely have big bucks where I'm sitting, and our immediate neighbors who own large tracts do not deer hunt. I still haven't taken a small buck since I bought the place, (I killed one 9 pointer) but I let my friend's son take that spike. Screw that spike.

I missed this one last year. The first buck I've missed in over 10 years. Of all the deer I could have missed, I wish it hadn't been him.
12088218_10206170073469804_1070117952449383112_n.jpg

Just my opinion based on personal observation is that QDM works and I'm glad to be in a QDM county. That being said, I don't think the entire state should be QDM. It's tough to explain to a 10 year old who's never killed a buck that he can't shoot at one because it's not legal. That happened last year. See attached. It may not look like it but my son was paying attention lol (the deer is at the far end of the clearing) He was messing around with his camera so he could get a pic of it.

IMG_20151025_085414896_HDR.jpg

Just my opinion based on personal observation is that QDM works and I'm glad to be in a QDM county. That being said, I don't think the entire state should be QDM. It's tough to explain to a 10 year old who's never killed a buck that he can't shoot at one because it's not legal. That happened last year. See attached. It may not look like it but my son was paying attention lol (the deer is at the far end of the clearing) He was messing around with his camera so he could get a pic of it.

View attachment 925378

When he finally gets his buck it will be one to remember!

Except for 2 years that I was in a QDM club, I have hunted private property with only family members. Over 30 years. The adults always showed restraint and we stuck to the bigger bucks. Our property bordered a state park where no hunting is allowed. Man, we took a lot of good bucks over there.

I agree QDM works and I prefer it, but the next guy may not. I do not believe my way is more important than his in any way. (This is not aimed at you or anyone else, VV!)

Except for 2 years that I was in a QDM club, I have hunted private property with only family members. Over 30 years. The adults always showed restraint and we stuck to the bigger bucks. Our property bordered a state park where no hunting is allowed. Man, we took a lot of good bucks over there.

I agree QDM works and I prefer it, but the next guy may not. I do not believe my way is more important than his in any way. (This is not aimed at you or anyone else, VV!)
I agree with this. Though, that's the big difference between managing bucks on your private land .vs. managing bucks on public land. Passing on the small bucks and letting them mature, unless you're taking out old bucks with poor scores and crappy genetics, to ensure quality offspring, is what trophy management is all about.

Yep, he's fine with taking does for now and I agree a statewide adoption of QDM may not play well in all circles. I think the state made a significant step years ago when they imposed the 4 points or more on one side requirement for one of a hunter's two harvested bucks.

It seems if we want to introduce hunting to new folks and keep them engaged and interested then we need to let them kill what they want and that can't necessarily be accomplished through a statewide adoption of QDM.

Back
Top Bottom