• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Carry Question: Does Location Matter?

dougiemac

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
119   0
Reaction score
So, I have a lot of LEO friends (Dekalb Co., Holly Springs, Smyrna PD, etc.) and have had some great discussions relating to exercising our second amendment rights. As many of you know, if you subscribe to our podcast (2AToday), I am a big proponent of the 2nd amendment as most of us here are, so I am always looking to strengthen the 2nd amendment movement and learn about common misunderstandings and misconceptions so that I can intelligently counter them with 2A friendly logic and reasoning. Some of the discussions I've had with my LEO friends have educated me on Georgia Code and other discussions, I've actually been able to educate them on Georgia Code relating to the second amendment. One topic came up recently that I wasn't certain about and so far I have not been able to find it in the Georgia Code, so I'm reaching out to the community to perhaps shed some light on this for me and to point me to the place in the Georgia Code that explicitly states where you can or can not carry a firearm concealed on a person. My LEO friend who is a highly ranked captain, said that your weapon had to be carried from the hip up and that ankle holsters were not a legal way to carry. I immediately disagreed, but told him I'd look into it and discuss it with him when I have researched it.

Does anyone know where in the Georgia Code it addresses the location on a person that a weapon can be legally carried with a GWL permit?

Thanks.

(p.s. please do not use this thread as an opportunity to bash LEO's as your comments will be deleted. thanks!)

My LEO friend who is a highly ranked captain, said that your weapon had to be carried from the hip up and that ankle holsters were not a legal way to carry. I immediately disagreed, but told him I'd look into it and discuss it with him when I have researched it.

Does anyone know where in the Georgia Code it addresses the location on a person that a weapon can be legally carried with a GWL permit?

Thanks.
Nope. Never heard of such a thing.

I would think I would have seen that referenced over the years but never have, AND have never heard one of my LEO friends or off-duty co-workers mention it either.

I have not found nor do I know of any laws with holster restrictions. There may be a city ordinance
(like Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.) that restricts ankle holsters but I doubt it.

I think a number of years ago, there was limitation on how and where a gun could be carried. However, over recent years, the codes have become more lenient in favor of gun carriers. I believe that now licensed carriers can carry a gun any way or any place on the body they choose. With all of the code reading and publishing on the ODT, I think we would have seen that restriction. I believe that unless a mode of carry is specifically prohibited, then it is legal and I don't think ankle, etc. carry is prohibited.

I think it should be up to the captain to show you where it is prohibited in the code, rather than your trying to prove a negative.

Back
Top Bottom