Votes: 311 83.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 26 7.0%
  • TACOS!

Votes: 19 5.1%

• Total voters
I see what y’all are saying, he’ll wait until the primary, I think the longer he waits the more angry People get, he should sign the bill and by the time the primary is here people will appreciate him and show up to vote instead of staying home

I see what y’all are saying, he’ll wait until the primary, I think the longer he waits the more angry People get, he should sign the bill and by the time the primary is here people will appreciate him and show up to vote instead of staying home
I agree. He should sign it now. I don't want to wait that long for some "I told you so." LOL!

Typically the Governor signs bills late in the spring and the usual date that these new laws take effect will be July 1. (But any bill could have a line in it announcing a different effective date I'm just going by what's normal)
SECTION 18.
516 This Act shall become effective upon its approval by the Governor or upon its becoming law
517 without such approval.

I just called the gov's office to encourage the signing of Georgia Constitutional Carry

there was no wait time, at all. CALL!!! and use the automated email.

GA Gun Owners BS... He's already said he'd sign it since he is the one who engineered it getting passed the year.

If the Governor signs this, I will never renew my permit again. It looks like I will be going to the beach in Alabama, Mississippi or Texas from now on and I had already planned on never buying another gun from a FFL holder anyway.
BTW; How is this going to affect the " just need a quick peek at your carry permit " crowd ?

A permit is still useful. When they cut NICS back to two people and the wait is 4-5 days for a background check, that permit will save you a lot of hassle at the gun store.

He said he was going to sign it so unless the latest version passed has something weird in it, a "poison pill" provision in it, it will be signed. No veto. And under Georgia law any Act passed by the Legislature will become law even absent the governor's signature unless he actively vetoes it.

Typically the Governor signs bills late in the spring and the usual date that these new laws take effect will be July 1. (But any bill could have a line in it announcing a different effective date I'm just going by what's normal)

Yeah, it'll take a little bit to get the right PR setting put together, but the nice thing is this particular bill goes into effect immediately after he signs it.

SECTION 18.
516 This Act shall become effective upon its approval by the Governor or upon its becoming law
517 without such approval.

Thanks for posting this.

Short lesson n Georgia history.

The Governor has a certain amount of time after the last day of the legislature to address all bills passed by both houses. I don't know what it is, and I don't care enough to look it up, either 2 weeks or 20 days, or something else.

There are three options.

He can veto it, In that case, if the legislature wants to override his veto it will be the first order of business at the next session of the legislature. This is the primary reason the governor holds bills past the last day of the legislature, because he knows a veto will stand till the next session, when passions die down, and who knows may be gone.

in Georgia, legislative override of vetoes are about as scarce as dodo eggs.

He can sign the bill, which makes it an enacted law, effective on whatever date is applicable to it -- on signing, on July 1, or on some distance date in the future.

He can do nothing, in which case the bill becomes law by operation of law. The governor does this with bills that he really doesn't care for, but can live with, and he doesn't really want to piss off a lot of people by vetoing it.

Point being Governor doesn't have to sign it, and sitting around getting your panties in a wad about when it's going to happen is pretty pointless. Unless he vetoes it, which seems highly unlikely, it will become law shortly. That's why the phrase quoted by GeauxLSU GeauxLSU has the language, "or upon its becoming law without such approval."

Thanks for posting this.

Short lesson n Georgia history.

The Governor has a certain amount of time after the last day of the legislature to address all bills passed by both houses. I don't know what it is, and I don't care enough to look it up, either 2 weeks or 20 days, or something else.

There are three options.

He can veto it, In that case, if the legislature wants to override his veto it will be the first order of business at the next session of the legislature. This is the primary reason the governor holds bills past the last day of the legislature, because he knows a veto will stand till the next session, when passions die down, and who knows may be gone.

in Georgia, legislative override of vetoes are about as scarce as dodo eggs.

He can sign the bill, which makes it an enacted law, effective on whatever date is applicable to it -- on signing, on July 1, or on some distance date in the future.

He can do nothing, in which case the bill becomes law by operation of law. The governor does this with bills that he really doesn't care for, but can live with, and he doesn't really want to piss off a lot of people by vetoing it.

Point being Governor doesn't have to sign it, and sitting around getting your panties in a wad about when it's going to happen is pretty pointless. Unless he vetoes it, which seems highly unlikely, it will become law shortly. That's why the phrase quoted by GeauxLSU GeauxLSU has the language, "or upon its becoming law without such approval."
Governor has 40 days to sign or veto bills passed by both the House and senate after the general assembly adjourns for Sine Die which was 4/4/22, if he does neither they became law on day 41.
It is amazing the amount of people who get all upset about a bill that has yet to be signed and they don't have a clue about the process, laws regarding or even how their legislature works.

Back
Top Bottom