• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia to Become the First State to Felonize Citizen's Arrest

The DA even stated the citizen's arrest had no grounds and referred it to a grand jury.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...52fa09cdc974b970b79/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

As to the case at hand: It is my professional belief the autopsy confirms what we had already
viewed as shown in the video tape, with the photographs & from the witness statements taken
immediately at the scene. The autopsy supports the initial opinion we gave you on February
24th , 2020 at the briefing room in the Glynn County Police Department after reviewing the
evidence you had at that time. We do not see grounds for an arrest of any of the three parties.
I don't see your point? You can't go around pointing firearms at people because you think they might be up to something.
Do you have or have you seen any evidence he committed any burglaries?
I think he was probably a bad guy but that doesn't mean we can go around pointing guns at everybody that might be a bad guy.

Lol; our rights get eroded away daily and the right-wing community at large does nothing else; and when someone points this out; its a collective "why don't YOU do something about it" .

The DA even stated the citizen's arrest had no grounds and referred it to a grand jury.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...52fa09cdc974b970b79/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

As to the case at hand: It is my professional belief the autopsy confirms what we had already
viewed as shown in the video tape, with the photographs & from the witness statements taken
immediately at the scene. The autopsy supports the initial opinion we gave you on February
24th , 2020 at the briefing room in the Glynn County Police Department after reviewing the
evidence you had at that time. We do not see grounds for an arrest of any of the three parties.

You had to skip a whole page before you got to quote you have provided.

The Waycross DA opens his letter with this statement:

However,sincewewereinitiallyrequestedtohandlethecasethevictimsmotherhasclearlyexpressedshewantsmyselfandmyofficeoffthecase.SheseesaconflictinthatmysonworksintheBrunswickDistrictAttorney'sOfficewhereGregMcMichaelretiredsometimeago.Shebelievestherearekinshipsbetweentheparties[therearenotandhasmadeotherunfoundedallegationsofbias[es].Assuch,IbelieveitisbetterformyofficetostepoutandamgoingtorecusemyselfandtheAssistantsworkingformefromhandlingthecase.IamcontactingtheGeorgiaAttorneyGeneralOfficeandseekingtheirassistanceinfindinganotherDistrictAttorneyintheStatetohandlethefurtherevaluationforprosecutionthiscase.Thatis,todeterminewhetherthereissufficientevidenceonwhichtomakeaGrandJurypresentationornot
(Sorry for the crapped up formatting, blame it one the interweb.)

Once the DA has identified and recognized a conflict, he is ethically and legally obligated to total withdraw from the matter, and not offer his opinion about anything having to do with it. So if the basis for your argument is the expression of an ethically challenged attorney, so be it.

I mean really, how can you say "it's better form that my office get out", "I am going to recuse myself" and then ignore your own advice by still offering a gratuitous opinion on the ultimate question.

But you should also note that when the same information was reviewed by a District Attorney who had no conflict of interest and was not ethically challenged, the exact opposite conclusion was reached, which is why the McMichaels are cooling their heels in the Glynn County jail, and will probably remain in a similar institution for much of the rest of their lives..

I don't see your point? You can't go around pointing firearms at people because you think they might be up to something.
Do you have or have you seen any evidence he committed any burglaries?
I think he was probably a bad guy but that doesn't mean we can go around pointing guns at everybody that might be a bad guy.
No you can't point firearms at people, without cause. That's agg. assault. I never maintained that you could.

Neither could be further from the truth. Im retired LE. And I am not going to try and detain someone over a nonviolent felony. Additionally see how this scenario would play out. You go to visit with some out of state friends for a few days. You go for your every evening run at about 7 pm. There have been a few burglaries in the neighborhood. A resident in the subdivision spots you running down the road, calls a buddy and says "get your gun and meet me over at my house, there's a suspicious guy running down the road". These two guys get in a vehicle and track you down. Pull loaded firearms on you. You don't have any idea what these guys intentions are, are they there to rob you? Murder you? Assault you? Are you just going to stand around and wait to find out what their motives are?

And you want to be the guy that sees someone looking in your neighbors barn and goes over, pulls a gun on him to hold him for the police. What if that guy happens to be an undercover police officer? I sure hope I don't go jogging down your road, it may end bad for one of us...
I'm not defending the Brunswick incident in any way. Their initial defense of citizen's arrest is not even being used as an excuse by their legal team.

I think some non violent felonies are worth arresting someone over such as what happened to me with a double vehicle larceny in my driveway. This is beside the point though. The new bill makes it illegal for you to arrest even a violent felon. So, like I said, your wife just got raped and the perp has existed your home and is in retreat when you discover what has happened. If you touch the rapist, you will be committing a 10 year felony once HB479 becomes law. That is what this bill does.

So, like I said, your wife just got raped and the perp has existed your home and is in retreat when you discover what has happened. If you touch the rapist, you will be committing a 10 year felony once HB479 becomes law. That is what this bill does.

I would be more concerned about my wife than the guy running away down the street..... Now if I meet him at the door inside my house he is trying to run out of I would do everything I could to kill him.

I would be more concerned about my wife than the guy running away down the street..... Now if I meet him at the door inside my house he is trying to run out of I would do everything I could to kill him.
You scream to your neighbor checking his mail about what just happened and to go tackle the guy while you tend to your raped wife. The neighbor would be committing a 10 year felony if he detains your wife's rapist, unless your neighbor is running a restaurant or retail store out of his basement.

HB479 literally places a stolen burger meal at a higher priority for perpetrator detention than it does a rape victim.

Back
Top Bottom