• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gheenoe restoration project.

Cool. What kind of paint/filler did you use? I just picked up a little boat project of my own this week!
Nice! I actually used an oil based floor and porch enamel from lowes. Valspar brand, they can mix any color you want and it's about 25 bucks for a gallon. Also get some "Penetrol" to add to the oil based paint, helps thin the paint a little and reduces brush strokes. 4 thin coats is way better than 2 thick coats. Oil based kils exterior primer first. I used the "roll and tip" method for the first two coats and ended up buying one of those 20 dollar harbor freight paint guns to spray the last coat. Mixed about 5:1:1 paint to penetrol to mineral spirits. In retrospect if I did it again I would have just sprayed it from the beginning. As long as you don't mind some bugs and pollen getting in it from spraying outside. You can use bondo, an epoxy resin, or fiberglass to do any repairs.

Looking good.Paint should be started next week and picked up a trailer today for the jon boat
Man I watched a video and these guys sprayed the bottom of a Jon boat with this polymer coating. It was sprayed in a similar way that a bedliner would be put on but this stuff is incredibly tough. Makes your boat rock proof, I think they sprayed it on 22 mils thick. Same stuff they put on the bottom of airboats to make them okay to drive on a road if they want. That and a surface drive motor would be the $hit.

Man I watched a video and these guys sprayed the bottom of a Jon boat with this polymer coating. It was sprayed in a similar way that a bedliner would be put on but this stuff is incredibly tough. Makes your boat rock proof, I think they sprayed it on 22 mils thick. Same stuff they put on the bottom of airboats to make them okay to drive on a road if they want. That and a surface drive motor would be the $hit.
got some aluminum primer which is latex.Hope to find a color I can paint over it that stays.Gonna use clear flex seal on the rivets,spose to be paintable.

got some aluminum primer which is latex.Hope to find a color I can paint over it that stays.Gonna use clear flex seal on the rivets,spose to be paintable.
Look up Aluma Hawk paint. It's made for aluminum boat bottoms, paint and primer in one. I think you need to sand it down to the metal and prep with white vinegar before painting. Also if you have leaking rivets the best thing to do is fill the boat with water, check for the leaks and mark all the rivets that are wet. Dry them with a heat gun and use an epoxy like West Systems two part marine epoxy on them before you paint. Just a suggestion, there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat when you're fixing up an old boat.

How well do you think the floor enamel is going to hold up to chips and scratches? I've got a gheenoe that I'm redoing right now, and as soon as I get the decks on I'm gonna paint her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How well do you think the floor enamel is going to hold up to chips and scratches? I've got a gheenoe that I'm redoing right now, and as soon as I get the decks on I'm gonna paint her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've read that if applied correctly it is very durable. Several thin coats as opposed to a couple thick coats. Also primer is a must. I assume that if I take it on the river and slam into a rock it's going to bust the paint, but for normal use on the lake I'd imagine it will hold up very well.

Back
Top Bottom