• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock factory re-bluing...

from what I hear it is outsourced and turns out looking like ****. My understanding is you would be much happier with having it Cerakoted.

from what I hear it is outsourced and turns out looking like ****. My understanding is you would be much happier with having it Cerakoted.
I've read kind of the same thing on an older forum I found elsewhere. I have one there now that I called to check on and they told me the bluing machine was down, and unsure of when it would be back up. I'm considering just picking it up, but not sure I want to go cerakote or not.

dang that sucks i called about a old g17 and he give me all the info and made it seem like it was done there ( did say it would take 4-6 week )
That's the timeframe I was told, buy they also told me to call after 2 weeks to check. When I called at just 2+ weeks is when I was told the bluing is down with no eta of starting bluing again. If it's worth the wait I'm fine waiting for it, but if not I guess it's a chance to get out. I'd still like to hear someone's personal experience, or preferably several.

*edit: They were clear when I dropped it off that they send them out in batches, hence the varying lead times.

By far no expert on the coating but Glock told me some time back that the coating is banned by EPA here. That's why all USA guns have a different finish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

wikipedia said:
After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc., also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish.

It's my understanding that Tenifer, and its US alternative, are a metal-hardening treatment that does not wear off, and the finish that wears off is Parkerized.

Back
Top Bottom