• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Going to build my first AR15

Good tools. Are you buying a complete upper or doing a full build?

If just a lower, get a good set of roll pin punches, receiver block, jeweler/watch hammer, castle nut wrench, torque wrench (inch lbs for the castle nut). And zero graphite grease for the buffer tube (Aeroshell can be used here too).

Should have a sturdy bench vice and table to work on too.

Have fun with the detent spring and detent for the front take down pin if you don't have the right tool. I used painters tape over the pin to catch it if you install it goofy for my first few times. Keeps you from playing an hours worth if search and rescue for such a small part.

Lastly would be a lower trigger guard install block to keep from breaking an ear off if the lower during install.

Last edited:
Roll pin punches, channel locks with electrical tape over the ends does well for putting in pins too. Put the lower in grocery or zip loc bag when doing the front take down detent, trust me do that part. I had one go flying and found it 3 or 4 weeks later.

For the upper. The Geissele reaction rod is the way to go for barrel and muzzle device install.

You will need a quality barrel nut wrench, torque wrench (ft lbs for the barrel nut and flash hider if using a tradition A2 with a crush washer), roll pin punches as well, Allen key set if using a screen on gas block, good sturdy bench vice/table. Aeroshell 33ms grease for the barrel install.

If no reaction is available for borrow or purchase, you can use the upper receiver clamp block. Just know that MANY billet uppers will not fit in them. They also stress the receiver when torquing the barrel nut and/or muzzle device.

Most of all, filter you what you hear about assembly technique as some may lead you down the wrong path.

Many forearms may come with their own tool for install and some require a manufacture specific barrel nut. Most quality barrel but wrenches should have the correct pins/teeth for install though.

Be sure to check the vendor sites to see if they require any special tools that don't come with the product.

Roll pin punches, channel locks with electrical tape over the ends does well for putting in pins too. Put the lower in grocery or zip loc bag when doing the front take down detent, trust me do that part. I had one go flying and found it 3 or 4 weeks later.
Bag idea is clever. I used tape, but never thought about a bag!

Back
Top Bottom