• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Going to build my first AR15

ill look for a barreled upper then
Also, that kit was for an A2 setup. Their is an SP1 kit minus the lower on here for the mid $600ish that has all it's original A1 parts. All you would need is a lower and possible large to small pin bushing for the pivot pin if it's an older Cold receiver.

one trick that i just picked up for the front detent...

use a big punch like a 5/16 or 1/4 and put through the takedown pin holes the opposite way that the takedown pin goes in for assembly. using needle-noose pliers with a death-grip on the detent, push the detent in and slide the punch over the pin. then, just push the punch out backwards with the takedown pin - all in one motion and with some purpose.

no special tools needed - probably something that most of you guys have lying around anyway. sure beats the razor blade method.
My only problem with that is if your pliers have teeth, it will damage the detent with grooves some. It can also can flatten the nose of the detent and make the pivot pin more difficult to manipulate. I know what you mean though. I have done the same before.

My only problem with that is if your pliers have teeth, it will damage the detent with grooves some. It can also can flatten the nose of the detent and make the pivot pin more difficult to manipulate. I know what you mean though. I have done the same before.

could it really flatten the nose? seems like it would take a lot of force to do that.

also, maybe i'm just another bubba with tools in his garage, but as soon as that detent is captured by the front pivot pin - i hope to never see that ****ing thing again. i don't care if it gets some scars on it going in - i just want it to be in there and not somewhere across the room / in my eye / or in the next county over.

could it really flatten the nose? seems like it would take a lot of force to do that.

also, maybe i'm just another bubba with tools in his garage, but as soon as that detent is captured by the front pivot pin - i hope to never see that ****ing thing again. i don't care if it gets some scars on it going in - i just want it to be in there and not somewhere across the room / in my eye / or in the next county over.

I'm with you about not wanting to see that ****ing thing ever again. But if someone doesn't want to damage the detent at all they could just put some electrical tape on their pliers. I did that to channel locks and squeeze in roll pins pretty easily if a vice is not available.

I had one rub flat from doing that same thing. Not sure if it was front the pivot pin coating or roll punch. I don't like the scarred as I think they don't move as freely. Of course a dab of grease will get them freely moving well enough I suppose.

I'm with you about not wanting to see that ****ing thing ever again. But if someone doesn't want to damage the detent at all they could just put some electrical tape on their pliers. I did that to channel locks and squeeze in roll pins pretty easily if a vice is not available.
I see what your saying about taping pliers, but the tool is like $5-$10. It's a worth while purchase, even if you only build a few lowers. I promise, it a 100x easier to assemble with it.

Back
Top Bottom