• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gold panning

I've been out a few times and I've never found anything, it sure is fun to look though.

The wife and I hit Proctor creek in Acworth today. After about 2 hours of learning where not to pan, I found a spot in the creek and actually had gold in the pan. A half dozen pans later and I still probably dont have enough for a gallon of gas but we're hooked and will be going back.
Hard to describe what is was like finding that first spec of gold, almost disbelief in what your seeing.

Hey I'm so glad to see this thread pop up. I got the gold bug last year and panned at blankets Creek twice. Ended up making my own little sluice box that us small. In the pans I have some black sand but don't know about specks. I keep hearing all you'll find is flour gold. I do have a great pdf of info I found online from some Allatoona gold pan club. Lots of pics and good info. I would love to get the daughters out to a Creek sometime HIKINGTHEHILLS or just me sometime too. I just have ziploc bags of black sand and am kinda stuck what to do. I found maps too of around canton and sixes Rd. Weird to look closer and see a whole subdivision where a mine was!

In for the info...Have what looks like a good creek spot on my property...Having never panned, I just don't know for sure. Gonna give it a whirl this summer though, anyone want to share?...

After the initial "Honey........I think I found gold" shock, it's actually easy to see in a pan of black sand especially after you been starring at mica flakes for an hour or two.

Camper, I'll send you a pm the next time we thinking about going.

Check out this map, you may have seen a version of it before, but this actually adds the county lines which helps narrow down locations.

http://cdm.sos.state.ga.us:2011/cdm/singleitem/collection/hmf/id/4/rec/37

Back
Top Bottom