• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good .45 loads

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I am just getting into reloading, and starting with .45. I will mainly be using this for pin shoots, action pistol shoots, etc. I have heard and read good things about 4 grains of Clay's with a 230 grain projectile.

Anyone else have a pet load that shoots well in just about anything? Low recoil is good considering what I will be doing with them.

Clays is very good powder for low power only loads. It doesn't tolerate pushing.

I use Universal for moderate velocity target loads. It yields good case fill and will allow a bit more range in velocity. My loads are mostly 200gr cast bullets that function great with a standard 16lb recoil spring. The empties are generally in a neat little pile beside me.

Universal is a pretty good powder to start with. It's clean, accurate, has good case volume and works well with different projectiles.

Clays can get pretty squirrelly pretty fast if you're not sure what you're doing.

You're starting out right-- .45 ACP is one of the easiest cartridges to load. It's not finicky about powders, and the cases basically last forever because of the low pressure. The primary thing to watch for is the crimp. Make sure you can't mash the bullet into the case easily. You should be able to measure the overall length, then gripping the case, mash the bullet hard onto a table, and not have the length change. Don't jump up and down on it or something, just push hard. If the bullet stays put, you're good to go. Then check that they feed, and that the gun cycles reliably. I can assure you that other cartridges can be much harder to deal with.

You can shoot 200s instead of the 230s-- they're cheaper than the 230s and the pins won't know the difference. Missouri Bullet Company is a fine source-- they can ship 2000 200 grainers in one $13 USPS bulk box, though your mail carrier may not be happy. Their quality is very good.

If you want low-recoiling loads, you can get even lighter bullets than 200. And try lighter springs in your .45. You can get the recoil down to 9mm level. But what's the fun in that?

My load: 200 gr. Missouri IDP #4 with 5.9 gr. Win 231 or HP-38 (same exact powder). Smokey, but knocks the pins down just fine. This is not a light load. Work up, follow your data book, etc. (All lead bullets smoke because of the wax burning off, though it does seem worse with some powders.)

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=78&category=5&secondary=13&keywords=

I would suggest if you're really going light to choose a softer lead bullet than the ones I'm referencing above. They're hard, for full-power loads. Try something "cowboy" rated, and therefore softer, if you're not going for 830 fps or faster. Missouri BC will be happy to discuss with you, or just read their web page.

(Not connected to MBC, just a satisfied customer.)

If you're running a Glock or another polygonal rifled pistol, you should probably shoot FMJs, not lead. Google to find out the details; too much to go into here.

Bullseye in Lawrenceville does a pin shoot every Thursday night at 7:30, just FYI. They vary the preferred gun depending on the week of the month, but you can shoot what you bring. You just may not win the cash prize (which is never much anyway), if you're shooting an auto on revolver night, for example. Friendly folks; try it some Thursday night. 7:30-9:30. I'm often there. There's really a good bunch of regulars there at the pin shoot. It's always a hoot. $12. You'll get about 10 runs at the table of five pins; 10 shot maximum per run. Best 5 runs averaged. You'll therefore need 50-100 rounds. Or 25 if you never miss and stop after five runs. : )

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! You guys rock.

I have not done Bullseye's pin shoot yet. Need to check it out when I can get down there sometime. I shoot pins most Wednesdays at Trigger Time and plan on adding some IDPA, IPSC, etc. soon as well.

I segregate my brass for .45. I have noticed a good bit of variation with case length. (Definitely more than I find with 9mm mixed brass.)

I have also noticed that some brass is stiffer than others. I hate Aguila-for instance. That brass is soft as all hell. Easy to crush the sides trying to get the crimp right. I have noticed no such issues with other brass-so far. My favorite are federal (FC headstamp) and winchester. Both those types seem very sturdy.

-Just a finer point I thought I would throw out. Segregated brass is easy to make small adjustments for when switching gears from one manufacturer to another. If I had just loaded all different types without sorting them out, that Aguila problem definitely would have driven me nuts before I figured it out.

(I am a newbie. So I like to keep stuff as straightforward as possible. Some people make fun of me for segregating brass-or cleaning primer pockets, etc. But in my opinion, you just can't have too much attention to detail when reloading.)

(Just the other day, I found a piece of cleaning media filling 90% of the flash hole in a 9mm primer pocket. Without my OCD process, I never would have noticed that. Definitely would have at least resulted in a squib or FTF.)

-Just some tips that helped me.

Last edited:
(Just the other day, I found a piece of cleaning media filling 90% of the flash hole in a 9mm primer pocket. Without my OCD process, I never would have noticed that. Definitely would have at least resulted in a squib or FTF.)

Brass sorting is not a bad idea, I do it for 9mm and use all WIN headstamps for major matches....every time I load a mag I am reminded of what to do.....WIN.

As far as the piece of media in the flash hole.....meh, the primer is hot enough to burn it out and shoot just like the rest.

Back
Top Bottom