• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good .45 loads

Cobalt, these guys offer some great info and advise. Listen to them and heed it all. The only things I would like to add to the soup is to get some good reloading manuals and read. Read as much as your heart will allow. Read it twice if you want. There is constant new data and specs coming out but the basic premis and safety remains constant. Go slow and watch what your doing, check your loads constantly. Measure, weigh, feel, recheck often. When loading a new load....only load up a few then try them out. If it's right...then load as many as u want.
Above all ....SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT !!!!! Not trying to sound like a dip**** or something but all it takes is one to ruin your day, gun or HAND. Any question about it at all....double and triple check it. Ask questions.

Have fun fun and keep on shooting !

Cobalt, these guys offer some great info and advise. Listen to them and heed it all. The only things I would like to add to the soup is to get some good reloading manuals and read. Read as much as your heart will allow. Read it twice if you want. There is constant new data and specs coming out but the basic premis and safety remains constant. Go slow and watch what your doing, check your loads constantly. Measure, weigh, feel, recheck often. When loading a new load....only load up a few then try them out. If it's right...then load as many as u want.
Above all ....SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT !!!!! Not trying to sound like a dip**** or something but all it takes is one to ruin your day, gun or HAND. Any question about it at all....double and triple check it. Ask questions.

Have fun fun and keep on shooting !

Oh, heck yeah - I am getting some excellent info here. Knew I would though!

I have just finished reading the first manual I bought and have watched a LOT of YouTube. I plan on getting everything together, get my press mounted, and then start REALLY slowly. I imagine I won't load anything til first of the year.

Keep the suggestions and advice coming - I promise I am soaking it all in!

Also if you are using(or planning) a digital powder scale....get a old style balance beam type to double check with every so often. The good ones don't cost that much and they are accurate.
Ive been into it for 35+ yrs.....I've got so much stuff it's not funny. When my father passed away a few years back I got all his stuff too! I'm going thru it while I'm relocating my gun room...May have some freebies, giveaways for ya. (Just manuals and books)

Are you getting powder blow back with thr light load? My last batch using 4.2 gr of Red Dot I was getting a good bit of blow back. Using 200 gr RN. Accurate lo ad just to much blow back.
4.2gr of Red Dot behind a 230gr LRN is all I load for 45ACP. I have yet to find a gun that doesn't love that load. Nice and clean too. :thumb:

I like 6.2gr Unique behind a 230 FMJ and 5.6 for a 230 plated. I find that my XDs likes the plated @ 5.4 gr for the 230 plated.

I've got some loads waiting to be tested for 200 gr SWC and 185 FP. Hoping to get them to the range this week.

Back
Top Bottom