• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good affordable first hunting rifle and caliber recommendations?

So as an update, went to AO on lunch today and fondled several different guns. The Savage Axis II now has the accutrigger, which feels great, but comes with a super cheap scope I would probably need to replace right off the bat. Savage Trophy Hunter felt good too, I liked the stock much more than the Axis, same accutrigger, but comes with a 3x9 Nikon BDC. Held the Ruger American, the price was right, but the stock felt cheap in the hand, the weight was nice though and the trigger was decent. Held a TC Venture, trigger was very nice, gun felt really well made and I like the stock but it felt pretty heavy, seems like it would be alot to carry all day long. Weatherby Vanguard S2 was great, but there again heavy, and I think I prefered the feel of the Accutrigger a bit more. Made the mistake of holding a Tikka T3... and fell in love instantly. Noticeably lighter than everything else, great trigger, action was pure sex. At a little over five its going to put me out of glass range for the moment though and I was really hoping to pick something up and be ready to shoot shortly thereafter. Still not sure exactly where I'll land. Got about two weeks before I can make a purchase on anything but trying to get my ducks in a row for when it comes.

If you want a bolt action, get a good Mosin and put a Timney trigger in it.
If you want semi-auto, get an AK...either will drop any GA deer with 1 shot.

For the money; Ruger American in .308. Perhaps you can find a used one here on the trader. A lever gun in 30-30 will get the job done sure enough, but you'll have more factory ammo options with the .308.

Just go with the Savage Trophy Hunter since it already comes with a Nikon. Stay away from the Savage Axis. As for caliber, any of those you listed will be adequate for North American big game, though 7mm might be a bit of overkill for anything in Georgia.

I have a used Savage 111 in 30-06 with a Simmons package 3-9x40 that shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. These can be had for under $400. Killed a couple deer with it in the 3 years I've used it. They didn't take a step with 30-06 but I like .270 as well. I bought my son a Savage Axis 270 with Tasco World Class scope for $400 brand new and it works just fine. It is a little light and "kicky" but he likes it. Killed a deer at 150 yds his first time hunting with it. As mentioned, can't go wrong with 270, 308, 30-06 or 30-30. A lot depends on how long a shots you plan to take. Most of the entry level rifles will work just fine

What distance will you be hunting? If you are hunting like we do, almost anything will work. We seldom take a shot more than 75 yard and more like 10-40 yards is normal in Georgia woods. I would suggest buying something that you can get ammo for a reasonable price. Just to toss out another suggestion, I have killed a lot of deer with 7.62x39. Think SKS, AR 7.62x39, AK, and a lot of other rifles shooting $5 a box ammo. Mine was AR based and the deer in my avatar is not the biggest I have killed with it.

I like .270 and .308.

Spend all you can afford because you will probably own it for years: and if you do sell it, your % lost won't be so big.

Back
Top Bottom